USB wifi reviews: Asus and Zydal

You probably don't recall guys, that I was attempting to connect to my mom's wirelss router (no name, P and P), when I was advised to just run the cat 5 (200' away, a couple of fences but almost line of sight). Anyway, I couldn't get my Zydal USB to get a strong enough signal, so that's what I did. (I ran the cable, and installed a Buffalo wireless router, set up as AP only. Been using it for a couple of weeks.)

In the meantime, I put together a Linux box using some spare parts, and ordered an Asus USB (Raling 2500 chipset) to use on it. I"ve got both computers on the same desk and it was easy for me to comparte the two /g usb adapters. Interesting stuff...........

The ASus was highly regarded for being Linux friendly, and to have great range, but not on either of my two systems. It connect fine using the Win XP bos to MY AP, but it's in the next room, only 1 wall. When I tried it on the kitchen table with my Linux box (2 rooms away) I got no signal. However, when I plugged in the Zydal USB in the same location, I got 100% signal from my router PLUS 90% on my mom's (200' 4 walls, 2 fences).

I tried it out on my Win box, and barely got a signal. So, I'm comparing a new box with XP using both usb adapters, and a slammed together Linux box running Ubuntu (which is the ONLY distro that automatically configured both USB's out of the box (it also configured my Radeon 9200 SE properly and nobody else could to that either in Linux).

The Zydal is not listed on any web site that posts compatable hardware. My only though is that Linux is using ndswrapper to use the Windows drivers (or perhaps an open source driver that works better)>

The Zydal cost me $7 on ebay, the ASus was $17 on newegg. The Zydal's range using Ubuntu is at lesat 200% better range, and 100% better with XP.

Which means that if I had just built the Linux box sooner, I could have saved $160 on Cat5e outdoor cable, all the digging, and all the hassle.

I'm no expert like Jeff, and this is purely anedotal, but thought somebody may find it helpful:)

Reply to
mikey coons
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.