USB to Ethernet Adapter-For X-Box

Be curious to see what others say about this. The SMC2655W is promoted as a product to connect lans. The output is an standard ethernet jack. There is a similar product that has USB . The SMC2655W has the Ethernet jack solely. It is set up through a web interface on a computer. Once set up do not think you would need any pc software. It is a b not a g though. What do others think of this idea for thsi product ?

SMC coroporate marketing for this product :THE SMC 11 MBPS WIRELESS ACCESS POINT IS DESIGNED FOR BOTH BUSINESS AND HOME USERS WITH A MAXIMUM OPERATING RANGE OF 1 800 FEET.

- IT ACTS AS A BRIDGE BETWEEN THE WIRED NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CLIENTS.

BudMan wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

There's a million wireless products out there connect a wireless network adapter to a computer's USB port. I need an adapter that will connect a wireless USB Ethernet adapter's connector into a standard RJ-45 (X-Box) Ethernet jack. Has anyone seen any of these products around? I did a Google search and could not find any. If there are any then I may be able to hook my son's X-Box Live up without purchasing one of those dedicated X-Box Live adapters. I don't play and he is only home from school for the summer so I don't feel like shelling out the $90 for a game adapter when I have plenty of USB 802.11 adapters laying around.

Reply to
BudMan

I tired a wireless access point, Linksys WAP11, configured as a bridge. But that did not work. The connect light did not come on when I plugged in the Ehternet cable.

Reply to
BudMan

You don't need a USB Ethernet adapter. You need a pass through wired to wireless bridge, often called a Wireless Ethernet Converter. Any device with an Ethernet port (game console, printer, all-in-one printer/scanner/fax, computer) can use this device (though since it's more expensive than a USB/PCI/CardBus wireless card, you wouldn't use it on a computer unless you needed the wireless antenna far from the computer).

I just installed one on a printer. You first connect it, wired, to a PC, to configure it, then connect it to the Ethernet port of whatever device you want. It will transparently pass through the MAC address and IP address of the device. I had to do this for a printer, because the wireless print servers that connect to the USB ports of the printer, don't work well with all-in-one devices (Printer/Scanner/FAX). If I had realized this earlier, I would have bought the model of all-in-one that included wireless, rather than just wired, Ethernet.

I used the Buffalo WLI2-TX1-G54. One good thing about Buffalo is that they have very good technical support (English, non-outsourced, 24/7) which I needed for this device. Most companies that make routers make similar devices.

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.