USB Device Problems when USB Wireless Network Connected

I recently installed a Belkin USB wireless network adaptor to my pc and it works fine. The problem is that whenever the connection is enabled, none of my other usb ports work. ie. an error message 'usb device not recognised' is displayed. As soon as I disable the connection from the system tray, and plug in the usb device again, it is recognised as normal. I have windows xp home (SP2). Can anyone help??

Reply to
amber.husband
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Sounds like a USB 1.0 port on your computer. 1.0 will only support one device per port. Are you using a USB hub? Is this by chance an ancient PC with equally ancient USB ports?

It would also be helpful if you disclosed the model number of your Belkin wireless device and verify that you have installed their latest driver.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 15 Nov 2006 02:30:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If possible, return the Belkin and get something else, or at least try something else. It might well be a fault in the Belkin device or driver.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:16:43 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Only if the implementation is badly broken. USB has supported multiple devices per port from the get-go.

The primary difference between 1.0 and 1.1 was the addition of 12 Mbps maximum speed ("full-speed" mode). 1.0 had a maximum speed of only 1.5 Mbps.

It's unlikely the computer is only 1.0 in any event -- very few 1.0 devices actually made it to market -- 1.1 was the earliest version with wide support.

That said, there were lots of badly broken 1.1 implementations, both hardware and software, which led to the unflattering moniker "Unusable Serial Bus" as the true meaning of USB.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Yep. The problem is that I kept running into old hardware where the supplied drivers would only support one device per port. The docs accompanying the device warned that with a USB 1.0, only one USB device could be "used" at a time. This was on an old Acer desktop and printer. I don't recall the model numbers. When I plugged in another USB device into a USB hub plugged into the one port, the printer port hung. I've seen other such warnings about USB 1.0.

However, you're correct. I thought it was something inherent in the USB 1.0 port. Apparently it's something in the device driver.

I've had to deal with old Acer and HP desktops that definitely came with USB 1.0 ports. Neither are computers are available to determine the model numbers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:06:13 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

It could also be something in the hardware. Not only was early hardware pretty bad on its own, but also the 1.0 spec suffered from a number of problems, particularly in the area of hubs. A big part of 1.1 was fixing problems found in 1.0.

Reply to
John Navas

Thank guys. I had installed the windows 98 driver and not the xp driver. Thats it. So now it is perfect. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
amber.husband

That was too easy. Couldn't you make the solution something more exotic, weird, and in line with some of my weird and wild guesses(tm)? I've got a reputation to maintain and you're not helping. Anyway, congratulations on solving the problem and also somehow managing to bypass the driver install version check, assuming Belkin actually has one.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:40:28 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Which is the scary part.

Reply to
John Navas

What I've read (somewhere, can't now recall the source) is that USB 1.1 was merely a "clarification" of the 1.0 spec, not an actual change. That isn't correct?

Neil

Reply to
Neil H.

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:35:29 -0500, "Neil H." wrote in :

Not correct. See .

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.