URGENT: Wireless network help!

Hi, I am trying to setup a wireless peer-to-peer network and I have limited time, any help would be much appreciated!!

Computer 1: Windows XP, Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card (192.168.0.1), Norton Internet Security, ICS Enabled

Computer 2: Windows XP, Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter (192.168.0.2), Norton Internet Security

Both computers having matching wireless network settings including ad-hoc and security keys.

I need it so computer 2 can access files on computer 1, and the Internet via computer 1.

I have briefly been able to get on the Internet using computer 2 but then the connection drops for no apparent reason. Currently computer 2 can see computer 1, but not the other way around. Internet is shared and after a reboot computer 1 can usually see computer 2, but as soon as Internet is loaded on computer 2, computer 1 drops it's connection (computer 2 still thinks it's there). Nothing is shown in Norton logs.

I have followed many guides and I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing! any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
andy
Loading thread data ...

Check out if the Workgroup is same on both. If Internet is getting on and off is a different problem. In the Network Connection Properties check if the File and Printer shareing is enabled or ticked.

shanks

Reply to
shanks

Also try changing the Ad-hoc channel - the default of 6 means that any other PC/router in range could cause inteference if it's also on the default channel.

Reply to
Doz

Workgroups are both the same. File and Printer sharing is enabled on both computers.

Reply to
jadeandandrew

How do I change the channel? The software it came with allowed me to do that (although I got even less further using it), but I can't see the option to change it with Windows managing the wireless settings? I doubt this is the overall problem though as the house is in a remote location.

Reply to
jadeandandrew

If you are using an access point or router, you are in "infrastructure" mode and you change the channel on the access point, not on the client.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

This is a peer-to-peer network in ad-hoc mode, no access point or router. Thanks.

Reply to
jadeandandrew

It'll help somewhat if you describe your hardware and OS. Sure, its windows with some wireless cards, but which windows, which cards etc etc... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

See original post :)

Reply to
jadeandandrew

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.