UPS and surge protector strips

we recently replaced a Linksys router due to flakey operation, and the loss of recognizing 100mbps cable connections, among other things.

Interestingly, this became more visible after a recent power outage.

We have all our network equipment on a UPS (sized for 30 min up time) and then some surge protector strips just to basically get more things connected...

Router, AP, 10/100 switch, DSL modem, small 10/100 switch between modem & router, NAS disk server, desktop computer, monitor, charger for laptop & a cordless phone base unit

I seem to recall reading about NOT putting surge power strips behind a UPS protected outlet - for some reason ??

Any thoughts or comments - Don't want more flakey components on the next long power outage.

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Per one source "Surge protectors work by shunting excess voltage into ground. If you do this to a UPS, you are risking damaging it, and it's unnecessary since the UPS has its own protection."

That sounds like reasonable explanation. I have also added surge strips to the UPS purely to address the need for more outlets. Perhaps we should be using plain power strips that are not surge protectors for this purpose. I'm also interested in this issue and what others have to add.

Reply to
GTS

Where's the risk? A properly operating UPS conditions power so that excess voltage/spikes should ever hit a surge strip chained behind it.

Reply to
News

Depending on the type of UPS that you have you may get a square wave or stepped square wave output from it and over a period of time this will damage MOV's, metal oxide varistors, in your surge protected power strips. Some of the more expensive UPS's will generate a sine wave output.

Reply to
LR

Make and model? I'm curious (as usual).

I've had more devices fried by a UPS than were saved. The problem seems to be switching glitches when switching between commercial and backup power. The switching type wall warts are not a problem, but the transformer flavor often conduct the glitch to the device being protected. Netopia routers seem to be especially sensitive. Usually it's only a hang. Sometimes, it clears the NVRAM. A few times, it a fried router. I've also seen this on Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers and similar models, that use 3.3VDC power supplies. These are usually switchers, but there's something odd about them.

Back to the UPS end. I've had switching problems with the Back-UPS line of APC products. I still use them (I have one here at the house) but only after I look at the junk produced with scope (using differential inputs to keep from getting fried). I've seen some fairly dirty waveforms. The Smart-UPS variety are MUCH cleaner and better. They also sychronize the switching waveform with the commercial power to prevent another form of glitching.

For installs that I want to be very reliable, I run them on battery DC power, that's charged with a decent battery charger. No glitches or wall warts anywhere in sight. I like to look at the device power supply rating, and buy devices that run on +12VDC or +5VDC. I can handle other voltages but these are my favorites (because I also have a pile regulators and chargers. I avoid anything that requires AC power from a wall wart. Unfortunately, no options are available for devices with built in power supplies that run on 117VAC. The only major downside is that the necessary gel cells only last 3-5 years. The ones that I installed 5 years ago now need replacement (and I'm too busy/lazy to do it).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:50:10 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Probably because there are great differences between the various kinds of UPS (off-line, line-interactive, on-line), and the cheap consumer grade units (typically off-line) don't perform as well as the most costly units. While on-line UPS is arguably the best, I've had very good luck with quality line-interactive types.

Reply to
John Navas

Cheap UPSs and switching power supplies can sometime be a really bad combo. We switched from Powerware UPS to some consumer grade UPSs at work and the computers went crazy. When a lamp was plugged in to an outlet the computer was on it would strobe. Turn off the computer and the lamp oeration was normal. The load was only about 60% of the capability of the UPS. We figured it had to be a reaction between the UPS and switch power supply.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You know that from e numeric specification? Or more likely, because you heard someone else say that. Is that 'he said without numeric facts' called an honest source?

As others have demonstrated, a typical computer grade UPS does not condition power AND can output power so dirty as to even harm power strip protectors. Since computers are so robust, that 'most dirty' power is perfectly harmless to computers.

How to get a UPS that outputs cleaner power? Cost is $500+.

A computer is robust because its power supply is equal or superior to any supply inside a UPS. Any 'dirty' electricity that might harm that computer (overwhelm its power supply) will also blow right through a UPS supply in the $500 line interactive UPS. That $500+ UPS protects from 'dirty' electricity that is irrelevant to a computer's more robust power supply.

As others noted, a typical UPS outputs electricity so dirty as to even harm strip protectors. Manufacturer will quietly warn to not use power strip protectors while not admitting why. You might learn that computers are not harmed by some of the 'dirtiest' electricity such as that from a UPS. Better for sales is to let the naive promote myths about 'conditioned' power.

Reply to
westom1

it was what we had already - and just added the UPS for the two plug-in strips...

Reply to
ps56k

I've had a Linksys BEFSX41 running for years. But lately - maybe after extended power outages & UPS giving up - the router would have some "errors" as reported by PingPlotter.

Last time, a few weeks ago - the power was out for several hours, and my son & a friend were sitting at the kitchen table with their laptops connected to the WAP upstairs -> Router -> DSL modem (all on the UPS) Weird picture - candles & laptops -

I thought the router was having some weirdness with the Ethernet interfaces. Now - the last straw - it looked like the 100mbps link to the DSL modem was not being recognized, yet a 10mbps cable was doing just fine.... Actually, took the cable from the laptop - locked it at 100mbps and tried all the BEFSX41 ports. None lit up - this was the original version with a full column of leds vs the current model with 1 led. Then tried with the laptop cable locked to 10mbps - in each port - all lit up & worked.

SO - it's sitting on the floor here, and the new BEFSX41 v2.1 is running just fine according to PingPlotter.

Reply to
ps56k

v1, v2, or v2.1?

I had customer with a pair of v1 routers, with the latest 1.52.15 firmware, that drove me nuts. I just couldn't keep the IPSec VPN up between two of these routers, and use both for remote access, at the same time. One or both would hang randomly. Sometimes it would stay up for a month. Other times, it would hang within minutes.

I never did figure out what was happening but simply replaced both ends with a pair of Linksys RV042 VPN routers.

Nice features are dual WAN with load balancing, SNMP, syslog, and static routes that actually work. The data sheet claims that it's possible to setup a PPTP tunnel, but I never could make it work.

NWAY negotiation failure. That's really weird as unplugging the CAT5 cable is suppose to reset the port and restart negotiation when plugged back in. If it's as bad as you say, methinks it's had a hardware failure.

Yep... a hardware problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Had same occur with a Linksys. At first, one port would detect the network connection, but refuse to transfer data at 100 M. That port worked only with 10 M devices. The problem eventually refused to accept 100 M data on any ports over a many month period. It would see the 100 M device but would not negotiate a 100 M data connection.

Reply to
westom1

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:03:37 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Actually available for under $200 assuming moderate capacity.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.