Updated software, Quickertek PowerBook WiFi PCMCIA card

(this is a follow up to a few posts that were just in the Mac newsgroups.)

For reasons which may or may not be valid I recently got a Quickertek

802.11 b/g "Cardbus" PCMCIA wireless card for my Mac PowerBook G4. Even though the card is no longer in production, having been replaced by a b/g/n card, there probably are still some of the older one out in the distribution chain, and presumably there are many still using them. To make a long story short, it didn't work as well as the promises indicated it ought to. (It wouldn't wake from sleep automatically and it keeping losing the connection.) It didn't take much work to discover it is basically a packaging of the Ralink RT61 chipset and almost by accident I discovered that Ralink has a newer driver and user interface than that shipped with the product or available on the Quickertek website. The Ralink software (available on their website) is also distributed as a .dmg and not a .zip, which feels more Mac-like. Anyway, it seems to work flawlessly with the new software and I'm a happy camper. I was able to get a solid connection down in the basement of my house, with the devices nicely negotiating a lower speed of transmission, at a place where the Airport card didn't even see the base station. For the record, the reason I settled on this card is that since it comes with its own software it can be used without physically disconnecting the internal Airport card, a task I didn't want to try for myself or pay somebody to do.

Ted Lee Minnetonka, MN

Reply to
Ted Lee
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.