Update firmware on Linksys WRT54G

I have Linksys WRT54G routers at my office and also at my home. I just noticed today in making some changes on the office router QoS was not an option. In comparing tonight at home I notice that the firmware here is v4.20.6 while at the office it is v1.42.2.

I have never updated firmware and thought I had better ask if there are any gotcha's and if I would gain much by doing so.

Thanks

Reply to
Don Harvey
Loading thread data ...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unless you have a problem that an update corrects, leave it alone.

Reply to
Unk

"Don Harvey" hath wroth:

There are 8 different hardware versions of the WRT54G, each with their own firmware versions. My crystal ball deduces that you have v4 router from the supplied firmware versions. How close did I get? (Look at the serial number sticker).

Yep. It's in 4.20.7

but not in 1.42.2:

I can't check for the current version because the Linksys web site proclaims that it's currently doing maintenance.

Well, some updates require that you reset the router to defaults and reload all the settings. When making such a large jump in versions, methinks that a grand reset is a good idea. You might also consider one of the alternative firmware releases (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc) if you need additional features.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.