Unusual wifi signal

For the past several weeks, I see an unusual signal when scanning with Kismet. It is always on the air, transmits a single packet (reassociation request) about every 30 seconds. Kismet shows the SSID as "" and the BSSID (always the same) is 6a:6f:62:2d:73:68 ... looks bogus. Kismet indicates this is an ad-hoc station and not encrypted. The phantom remains when I remove power from my wireless router, so it's not a spurious signal from my stuff. Seems too organized and repeatable to be interference from a cordless phone. Maybe not.

Anybody seen something like this? I'm experiencing frequent deauthorize/disassociate flood attacks lately and I'm wondering if there is some connection.

If it's an alien civilization trying to make contact, do I offer milk and cookies??

Reply to
Roby
Loading thread data ...

I like 2% and oatmeal raisin. Thanks!

alien

Reply to
alien

Is your computer itself a "convertible"? My gateway laptop (and tablet convertible) does that (shows a phantom with no SSID)... I wonder if you power off the computer also when you power off the router (course, if you turn it off, how are ya gonna run something to check? :)

I also show ANOTHER one from the wireless connection on my DVR (ties my DVR to the wireless network)... Got one of those?

Got a 2nd or a friend with a laptop?

Reply to
Peter Pan

It's a Shuttle toaster look-alike with built-in (usb) wifi. Don't know anybody around here with a wifi client that is capable of rfmon mode ... or of linux even! (Not seen with NetStumbler under win2k).

I think you're right about it being a phantom. The other bit of weirdness is Kismet doesn't indicate a channel for it. I can disable channel hopping and stil see those reassociation request packets arrive, regardless of what channel I'm watching.

Tonight I'll truck it down to the basement (radio blackhole) and find out what I hear there.

Reply to
Roby

Oatmeal & raisin = high fiber = good.

2% > 1% ... some improvement can be made.
Reply to
Roby

| If it's an alien civilization trying to make contact, do I | offer milk and cookies??

Be sure it is fat free milk. We don't want to start an intergalactic war.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.