Unplugged all other PCs and router log still shows incoming activity . why?!

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me why I am seeing constant incoming activity on ports 33041 & 6883 in my router log after I have unplugged all wired connections and set up a MAC filter that only my own laptop can access the wireless network? Is there a time lag for the wireless connections to end or something after setting up the MAC filter ( I just did it half an hour ago). I know these ports are used for downloading via Bittorrent and earlier posts will show you that I recently had problems with a bandwidth-hungry flat mate who promised to change his ways.. anyway, I noticed internet problems earlier tonight. I unplugged the one wired router connection in our apartment but there was no change. The incoming logs showed these bittorent ports, but no other wireless user was showing up the network, so I assumed this 'mystery person' (...) must have been able to hide himself somehow..

So I thought the harshest but most effective way would be to restrict access so that only my laptop could access the wireless network, and I set up a MAC filter - but the log still shows incoming requests on these ports?

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Joey
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Unplug modem and see.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you have a fixed IP ?

If not.. unplug everything.. wait a little while and plug it back in again.. should give you a new IP with a little luck.. the traffic will then go to the released ip...

Reply to
Doz

Reply to
Joey

Router is broadcasting looking for stations. If it is on and booted it should be doing this. Part of the protocol.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.