Universal Access Point

Is there any such thing as an access point that could be connected to my router via an Ethernet connection and support *all* current wireless standards (in other words, it wouldn't matter which

802.11 standard someone has in their laptop they walked in with, it will accomodate them anyway and be able to get an IP address from the DHCP host in my SOHO router?

Thanks,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Careful when you say "all" standards as there are some proprietary protocols that will probably not be supported (Karlnet, frequency hopping, etc). All the major manufacturers (Dlink, Netgear, Linksys) have access points that will do both 2.4Ghz and 5.6Ghz, as well as

802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g protocols. These can be easily found on their respective web piles. If these protocols are all you need or could want, you're done. Make sure it supports WPA.

I've been told that some access points simultaneously support WEP and WPA encryption, but have never seen one. This may be an issue if you're supporting a mixed bag of client radios with encryption. However, if you're not doing encryption because you're dealing with the GUM (great unwashed masses) just walking in with a random laptop, supporting both WEP and WPA will not be an issue.

One big problem is that WPA2 (802.11i), when it finally arrives, will require a hardware upgrade to support AES encryption. Everything you buy today may soon be obsolete.

Don't forget about PDA's. Some don't have 802.11a/b/g so methinks Bluetooth or perhaps IrDA connectivity might be nice.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

: Is there any such thing as an access point that could be : connected to my router via an Ethernet connection and support *all* : current wireless standards (in other words, it wouldn't matter which : 802.11 standard someone has in their laptop they walked in with, it : will accomodate them anyway and be able to get an IP address from the : DHCP host in my SOHO router?

You mean 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If answer is yes, my answer is also yes. But you need to buy AP with two radios (or simply: with two pcmcia slots). One for 2.4GHz and the second for 5GHz.

m.

Reply to
Marcin Lukasik

The most successful technology is the one that owns the most acronyms.

Careful. By "all" I mean "all of this weeks standards". Standards change, improve, and require upgrades. The universal access point for next year may not even resemble todays products.

For a home environment, it should be sufficient. I have yet to see a laptop that support ONLY 802.11a (5.6Ghz). Invariably, they are dual band units that support 802.11a/b/g. Therefore, methinks you're safe by literally ignoring 802.11a. That should save a few dollars.

Similarly, there are no 802.11a radios in PDA's, so that's not an issue. What I've found in an office environment is that someone with a PDA wants to print something. Despite all the modern connectivity technology, it usually results in copying the file to another PC and printing it from there. Having a universal memory card reader with whatever goofy standards and form factors are popular with PDA's seems to be sufficient. No need for wireless.

Bluetooth is nice for connectivity to PDA's. The cost is nominal when directly connected to a PC via USB. However, I have yet to see a conglomerated access point that includes the usual 802.11a/b/g as well as Bluetooth. It's coming as there are SDR (software defined radio) chips available that can do it all, but not quite yet. If you wanna do Bluetooth, you'll probably need to do it seperately.

formatting link

Dream on. Wireless Zero Config is an improvement but far from perfect. There will be some screwing around with settings, clicking "ok" a million times, and dealing with compatibility issues. You'll find yourself doing tech support for the visitors. Be sure to thank them for delivering a worm, virus, or trojan into your network when they arrive with an infected laptop.

You haven't told me the price range, so I don't know what you mean by "cost effective". Therefore, I degenerate to strategy. You can ignore 802.11a if you want as most laptops are dual mode and will support 2.4GHz. IrDA requires way too much fiddling to be useful (install printer drivers, etc). Memory cards can take care of the PDA's. Bluetooth access point will be useful. Therefore, you need

3ea boxes: 802.11b/g access point Bluetooth access point Memory Card USB adapter. This week, I kinda like the Linksys WRT54G and WAP54G. No clue on the Bluetooth access point. I like Sandisk adapters for memory cards because the drivers seem to work (without hanging the machine if you yank the card without going through the card removal ordeal process).
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sounds like a plan. I like that acronym (GUM).

Since this is a home network, cost is obviously a factor. But it is good to know that Access Points are made that do them all.

By 'all', I did mean 802.11a/b/and g. But from what you say, even that may not be enough. If IrDA or Bluetooth are the standards for PDA, maybe I should get something that includes them, too. I'd like someone who visits me to be able use their PDA if they have one.

As I want my access point to be open, I don't plan to encrypt it. The idea is that if I have someone over with a device they'll be able to immediately use it.

Any recommendations on a cost effective device would be appreciated.

Fred Atkinson

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

: Any recommendations on a cost effective device would be : appreciated.

I think that an AP with 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios will be the best choice. IrDA is not so mobile at all and also sloooow, bluetooth - very small range.

m.

Reply to
Marcin Lukasik

Cisco 1200 series access points can do 802.11 A/B/G in one unit. They have two slots one that is primary for the B/G and the other is a card and antenna that installs in a slot on the bottom that supports

802.11A. The A has some real limitations in range and IMHO is not well suited for most enviroments. Commercial buildings tend to use metal studs etc that prevent coverage from extending very far. The G spec provides almost as much bandwidth at much greater range.

INHO 802.11A is best suited for point to point links. A link like this will usually have fixed parabolic antennas with a known path loss and stable performance.

Reply to
K Bloch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.