UNINSTALL "rogue" networks, how?

My daughter is trying to set up a wireless connection between her desktop and her daughter's in the next room.

She is using a wireless Netgear Router, Cable, Windows XP, SP2.

Her daughter's computer runs the same software.

When I was at her house and installed the ASUS Adapter LAN PCI WL-138G, IEEE802.11g 54 Mbps, it worked initially and I was able to get on the Internet on her daughter's computer.

I then updated via the Express route Windows XP, restrted and thereafter could not sign on anymore to the Internet. (This page cannot be displayed)

Device Manger shows the card installed, no yellow exclamation mark, and that the device is working properly.

I un-installed the device and re-installed the PCI card with the supplied CD, but it gain would not connect.

What can I advise her to do now?

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:56:45 GMT, "Ritter197" wrote in :

Read the wikis below. Turn off all security while troubleshooting.

Reply to
John Navas

John, I did look and selected a number of the subjects, but none told me how to DELETE parties the network now sees when it is powered up.

We did get it to work now. She can communicate from one computer to the other. She used the same WEB for incription on both computers and that for some reason did the trick.

But she sees other networks (which are not hers) and likes to HIde or totally get rid of them. Can that be done?

Probably not, I guess. What the adapter sees, it sees. Right?

Reply to
Ritter197

In the "View Wireless Networks" window, in the left panel, select "change the order of preferred networks.

You can set the one that you want to "automatic", and the others to "on demand" by selecting them, properties, and unchecking the "automatic" selection on the advanced tab for each one.

Also click on the Advanced tab on the main "wireless properties" page, and select the "Access Point (Infrastructure) networks only button to prevent accidentally connecting directly to other laptops when there is no WAP available.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for this good and detailed information. I will forward it right away to my dayghter who has this problem.

Reply to
Ritter197

At the same place where you "change the order of preferred networks," you can delete those that you don't want to connect to at all (instead of making them non-automatic). Be aware, however, that if you connect to any network by selecting it from the "View Wireless Networks" window, that network is automatically added to the top of the "preferred network" list.

Reply to
Lem

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:40:28 -0500, Lem wrote in :

Unless you change the setting to connect manually, which is easy to do.

Reply to
John Navas

Those are wireless network around you (eg. neighbors).

Go to your neighbor's house, turn off their wifi device (take it home with you if you don't want them to turn it back on).

Correct. It is safe to ignore other wifi networks. Just make sure you are not connecting to their network.

Reply to
Ron

Hi

The status of reality is described here.

Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network display?

formatting link
Functionally, I would divide the issue into two parts.

1. Making sure that others do not connect to your family Wireless.

That can be achieved by using security measure like WPA-PSK, or better WPA-AES (if existing in your hardware).

1. Avoiding your Family connecting to other folks Wireless Network.

If you are using Windows Zero Configuration (WZC), it is a matter of self-control, and setting WZC as described by Len and other posters.

Otherwise disable WZC (

formatting link
), and use the original Wireless utility that came with the card. Many of the propriety Wireless utilities can be set in a manner that would make it harder to connect to other Wireless Networks.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 13:51:07 -0500, "Jack \\(MVP-Networking\\)." wrote in :

It's important to set a unique SSID. Otherwise your wireless clients will connect to any other network with the same default SSID no matter what you do in QZC or proprietary software.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.