Unexplained apps in Linksys port forwarding

I have a linksys wireless router - BEFW11S4 and I have a desktop and laptop using wireless connections to the router. Everything works fine. I wanted to FTP to the desktop from outside my house so I loaded a FTP server and because I was told it would be safer - I mapped a random high port number ot port 21 . All this worked fine. Recently I went back into the router and noticed that there were 2 new apps in th port forwarding which I did not add! I can't find anything about them. Or - I can't understand how they got there. I couldn't find anything about potential security problems with the router except vague references . I disabled all of it

However, How can apps get added to port forwarding in the router? Is this a hack or security thing? or is there a way for apps to update the router. (I changed the admin password from the default) .

As far as the apps added - they are:

ELFP?Ð from Ext port - 1334 to Int. port 5292 using UDP and ELF??Ð from Ext port 2837 to Int port 5276 using UDP

I don't see any of the ports using netstat -a

Any ideas on how this happend or what these are? Thanks!

Reply to
sabino
Loading thread data ...

sabino hath wroth:

Welcome to Universal Plug and Play. Go to:

formatting link
your router and disable UPnP. The ports are probably owned by MSN Messenger and are random. If you're using MSN Messenger, then leave UPnP turned on as many of the features don't work unless it is enabled. There are also other programs that use UPnP to automagically configure holes in your firewall for their benifit.

You can also turn it off on the computah end. In Windows XP: Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove ->

Add/Remove Windows Components. Scroll down to Networking Services, and uncheck "Universal Plug and Play".

Light reading:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.