Undetectable APs

From your description, the "hacking" attempts died because you knocked the legitimate owner off of his/her own router! It's generally considered bad form to use someone's wireless network without permission, but IMHO it crosses yet another line when you change their encryption settings.

That's a global setting, so you didn't just encrypt your own wireless connection, you encrypted theirs too, except you failed to give them the PSK.

It sounds like they realized someone was using their AP when the AP was suddenly configured to use encryption.

Reply to
Char Jackson
Loading thread data ...

Make the Live-DVD or bootable flash drive and run Kismet from there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

From your description, the "hacking" attempts died because you knocked the legitimate owner off of his/her own router! It's generally considered bad form to use someone's wireless network without permission, but IMHO it crosses yet another line when you change their encryption settings.

**If what you're saying is true, how is it that their AP continued to be listed in scans and their hostname continued to be listed in the router long after the change was made? Also why didn't they just reboot the router, if what you're saying is true?

That's a global setting, so you didn't just encrypt your own wireless connection, you encrypted theirs too, except you failed to give them the PSK.

ok, see above.

It sounds like they realized someone was using their AP when the AP was suddenly configured to use encryption.

**Yeah they probably rebooted the router, but I am still uncertain as to how they are hiding their AP from scans. I won't be messing with open routers any more, it just loses me access. *Repetitions of this post due to unreliable remailer performance and/or buggy remailer interfaces*
Reply to
Nomen Nescio

**If what you're saying is true, how is it that their AP continued to be listed in scans and their hostname continued to be listed in the router long after the change was made? Also why didn't they just reboot the router, if what you're saying is true?

ok, see above.

**Yeah they probably rebooted the router, but I am still uncertain as to how they are hiding their AP from scans.
Reply to
Anonymous

Encryption, or lack of, doesn't affect whether an AP will respond to scans. Also, when you ask why they didn't reboot the router, I assume you mean something else because a reboot doesn't affect the encryption status.

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like you reconfigured their router, they noticed, and they took steps to remove your access. It's about that simple.

As Jeff explained, hiding the SSID is a feature that's included in just about every NAT router these days.

Some would suggest you buy your own access if you can't get permission to use someone else's.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.