Understanding Yagi antenna

I've posted a picture on >alt.binaires.schematics.electronic< to an effort to help me get a better understanding of an antenna. It is a 2.4Ghz antenna about 18" long The driven element is a copper ribbon 0.2" wide by 0.032" thick. The copper ribbon forms a loop about 2" wide by 0.625" tall. The gap in the ribbon would be 0.020", but note; in the pictures a moon shaped piece has been cut from both ends. I think this moon cut effectively make the gap look larger. The total coax length is 2.350", the shield a bit shorter at 2.08". There are 4 toroids on the coax. These are under a piece of heat shrink, so I have no idea what material they would be. All element spacings are all equal and element lengths are within .030" of each other. I think they were designed to be the same but manufacturing tolerances made the differences. The reflector is longer. So now what can the group tell me about; Driven element impedance the gap coax length impedance transformation the 4 toroids Thanks for the help, if you need any other details let me know. Mike

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

Hi Mike,

That is a very complex subject. I would go to the library and check out a good book on antenna theory. "The ARRL Antenna Book", while aimed at amateur radio operators would still provide you with more theory than you're likely to even need to know. An excellent book!

Reply to
Curt Christianson

yes, it was made on a moonday.

noise reduction ferrite beads or toroids Line filters get rid of RF travelling along the outer surface of the coax's shield and avoid, consequently, any TVI/BCI. The best performance can be seen when connected right into the feed line at the antenna base!

hard not to be cynic. w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

Do you mean a cynic, as in ; a faultfinding captious critic; especially : one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest. Well yes, I ask the questions because (I) want to know, but if someone else learns from the answers, I don't care. "Moonday" hurumpf ;-} Mike

Reply to
mike

Hi Mike,

It is simply a function of the mechanical connection of the line at that point (the inner conductor needs the cut-out and the shield has a closer point of attachment).

50 Ohms.

the distance between the closest points of contact before the line was installed - i.e. the thickness of the inner conductor's insulation (true for absolutely every antenna built).

Not sure that matters if in fact it has been designed to be a Z transformer. If so, then you have one of several dimensions possible n/4 wavelength or n/2 wavelength where n is odd.

Decoupling.

73's Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Reply to
Richard Clark

I had to go back and look at the picture, but that's interesting, the cutout makes for a good fit for the mechanical connection to the coax. And I'll use that,

for the gap in the antenna I'm building. Thanks

Reply to
mike

To learn specifically about Yagi antennas, it's hard to beat Lawson's _Yagi Antenna Design_.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Reply to
Roy Lewallen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.