Unable to pull an IP Address

I have a NetGear 814V2 Wireless Router hooked up to my Motorola Surfboard Sb5200 connected to Comcast. My one Laptop hooks wirelessly without any problems and I can surf the net, do E-Mail etc. but my other laptop will NOT pull an IP address.

The "problem" laptop sees my Wireless router when I check in "Symbol Mobile Companion" but I cannot get it to pull down an IP address. When I check on the "Attached Devices" page of the Router configuration it doesn't list the "problem" laptop as being connected. I have triple checked that the correct WEP key is entered on the Laptop an also tried it with encryption switched off but still no IP Address!

Any ideas or pointers?

WiFi card is a Symbol Technologies Spectrum 24 802.11b (same as in other Laptop and YES I have switched it out for a "known good")

Router is a NetGear 814V2

O.S. is Windows 98 Laptop not currently firewalled.

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Remove and reinstall TCP/IP networking (as well as the drivers for your wireless card), and then make sure it's configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

Reply to
John Navas

tried that, still no IP!

Reply to
Dave

Are you sure you understand about reinstall TCP/IP networking, where as, the TCP/IP can get hosed and won't release the 169 IP, which means the O/S timed out and the 169 IP is assigned to the NIC by the O/S due to some kind of mis-configuration.

Sometimes on the Win 9'x O/S notorious for this, the TCP/IP stack must be reset in order for the problem of releasing the 169 IP that was assigned so that the machine can get a DHCP or use a static IP on the router that's going to allow the machine to access the Internet.

If you use IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew at the DOS command prompt and the O/S cannot release and renew the IP and get one from the router, then the TCP/IP stack is hosed and will need to be reset.

Is that your problem?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane, Just to CMOA I reinstalled the O.S.! Same result or lack of!

Reply to
Dave

You could have reinstalled the Win 9'x O/S which you didn't have to do and if you went back to trying to get things to work, you could have still hosed TCP/IP stack again if you went back to what you were doing before that lead you to reinstall the O/S.

So again, if the wireless machine cannot access the Internet after you have reinstalled the O/S, then what IP does the NIC have assigned to it based on using the above information? Does the machine have the 169 IP or what?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Problem now solved, thanks for your help. I ended up upgrading the O.S. to Windows XP and the card now pulls an IP as it should.

Reply to
Dave

:-)

top stuff. FWIW Win98's TCP stack was notoriously rubbish, I had my kids' PC regularly forgetting its addy. I only got it to reliably work by disabling DHCP and seeting a fixed address Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.