Unable to login and add security to WRT54G being used as access point/extender

I've got two linksys Wireless G routers networked. The first, a WRT54GS is hooked up to my Toshiba cable modem. The second, a WRT54G I assigned as an access point. It is wired to the network and connected to a PS3 at the other end of house. I was also using it as wireless extender at that end of house, successfully without problems.

When I set up I wasn't using security settings but have recently re-established WPA PSK security on the primary router which means the extender is no longer working as wireless access point with a laptop on which I reset the profile to WPA-PSK. I figured I could wire the extender up to laptop and establish security settings identical to the primary router, but can't figure out how to do this without resetting the extender.

I unplugged the primary router, plugged in the extender to modem and computer and tried to log into it to add wireless security but can't log into the settings to save my neck. I was sure I knew the address, http://192.168.1.2 for example, but nothing works. Am I gonna have to reset this using the original linksys setup disk?

Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Burninator
Loading thread data ...

OK. It's a bit confusing to me, but it seems you are saying that you want to enable wireless security for your second Linksys which is acting as an AP and switch ?

And you want it to have the same settings as the router's wireless security so that you can roam from one to the other ?

To change the settings on the second Linksys, disconnect it from everything else. Connect an ethernet cable from one of it's LAN (not WAN) ports to a computer and try connecting at the address you have previously assigned it by typing it into your browser. If this does not work, ping that address to make sure it's not a browser issue. If that does not work, try 192.168.1.1.

If none of that works, reset the unit (use a pen on the tiny reset button, forget the disk) and then connect at it's default address of

192.168.1.1. Setting it up again should not be that difficult. It's only an AP. Assign an address again, tell it where the gateway is, turn off the router part / firewall. Once that's all done and it's working again as before, go to the newly re-assigned address via the same LAN port and add security.

There is no reason to connect it to the modem. You can give it the same SSID and security settings as the router, but assign a different channel.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

If he sets it up as a repeater I dont believe he has to have security on it. What ever it receives it just passes on.

I was playing with one running DD-WRT as a repeater a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure I didnt have to set security on it.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

Yes, but he is using it in the AP mode, I believe. Cabled to the router. The terms are confusing- range extender can be used for repeater, but I think they also market APs as extenders. Makes sense in a way, but fails to differentiate.

In fact many APs are now including WDS functions so they can extend your range either way.

Seems that most people here are in agreement that AP is the superior approach whenever possible.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

I really like having my repeater. I can move it around to fill in the holes as needed. For example, I get place it on my back porch and have access on my laptop from anywhere in the back yard or place it in my garage to have connection when I am in my RV.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

Thanks for the help. I had to reset the second router (one being used as access point), in order to get back into the settings and add security. Only odd problem that I keep having is this: I reset the access point to 192.168.1.2 and added wpa-psk wirelsss to match the primary router and turned off dhcp. It worked fine afterwards as a wireless extender and as wired access point for my ps3. Odd thing is that once I'm done, I am unable to log back into the settings for the access point (via ethernet to LAN port). If I ever want to make changes again, it looks like I have to go through the reset procedure again. This was what had me stuck to begin with. Don't know why this should be. Thanks again for the initial assistance.

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Burninator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.