Unable to connect to internet through wireless router

I have an existing connection through my old laptop to a 3COM wireless ADSL router and can connect to the internet on my old laptop.

I tried a friends new Sony Vaio laptop and can connect to the router and see the router settings but can not access the internet.

I have checked the DHCP settings on the router and tried turning the firewall off but still no success. I can't see any problem with any of the settings on the router and as I have said the other laptop can still access the internet.

I have checks the ipconfig and the laptop does get the default gateway and leases an address from the router but can still not connect to the internet or ping any external ip addresses.

When I connected to the router using an ethernet cable I could connect to the internet. I am tearing my hair out - have asked many IT/ Network people but no one can see where the problem could be.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
stevemc75
Loading thread data ...

Assuming it also gets a DNS server address as well?

If your external pinging is being attempted by hostname, DNS not being set to DHCP on the client would cause these symptoms.

Any MAC address filters set up in the router perchance? Internet access restrictions/policies that may treat your laptop differently from the friend's laptop?

Does this laptop connect to other AP's without issue? If not, could be a problem with wireless card or the driver.

These things can drive a person nuts, so good luck!

Reply to
Todd H.

I have a similar problem. I can get Email and Newsreader but not browse on any of three browsers.

I use Avast! anti virus and found that if I turn it off any browser can access the internet.

Talking to Avast now about resolving this. George C

Reply to
piotor norton

It does get the DNS Server address

I'm pinging directly to the IP Address

There is no MAC address filtering on the router and the other security settings I've got on the router/laptop are ok - nothing that I can see that would specifically link the router to one client.

Not sure what AP means but have been unable to connect to the owner's wireless router either. I ruled out the wireless card because I could connect to the router and see the router's settings

I also kind of ruled this out because it is a brand new Sony laptop.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
stevemc75

This is a new laptop, that as usual has a trial version of Norton internet security on there, but this has not yet been set up so is still showing as disabled. Have had problems with Norton before on my own laptop and were only solved by uninstalling Norton. I didn't think this could be the problem though as it shows as disabled - though knowing symantec they probably stop you using the internet until you have infected your pc with Norton.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
stevemc75

Stranger things have happened.

Before I'd spend too much effort pulling additional hair out, I'd try to connect that laptop to another access point/router to verify that the wireless functionality is fully working. I've seen wireless cards that'd see networks but couldn't join, could join, but couldn't get an IP, could get an IP, but sstuff still wouldn't work.

When you ping -t for a few minutes, do you get significant packet loss?

Reply to
Todd H.

I haven't done this for a few minutes, just the ping.. but when I have done it I haven't had any packet loss

Steve M

Reply to
stevemc75

On 15 Mar 2007 07:45:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

What does that mean? Please, _exact_ symptoms!

Can it access the router configuration interface?

Please post the _exact_ IPCONFIG output here.

Compare the IPCONFIG output of wireless against wired.

My WAG is that you're got security configured in the wireless router. My suggestion is to reset it to hardware defaults, and start over, turning on security only after your wireless is working.

Reply to
John Navas

I would double check this. To me "disabled" means that at some point it has been operational and no longer is. How long has the laptop been owned and is the period of time outside the "Activation" limits of NIS. I have heard of some people having problems because of this, one person had been playing with "Parental Controls" and when his activation time ran out found he could not access the web to get to the Symantec Site.

Reply to
kev

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:07:50 +0000, kev wrote in :

Agreed. I would definitely remove it! Besides, better products are free (e.g., Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Classic, Grisoft AVG Free).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.