Unable to connect to free wifi abroad

I have a PDA running Pocket PC 2003 and a wifi card. I have been able to connect to several free wifi networks (eg in hotels) here in the UK without any problem. However, I have never been able to do the same abroad. My PDA can see the network I am trying to connect to, and acts like it is connecting, sometimes even saying 'connected', but I am never able to view any web pages. Sometimes I have had an error message about my IP address.

Anyone got any ideas? I know that some hotel networks may require you to use a WEP key to connect to their network to prevent unauthorised use, but I have had the same problem trying to connect to the free wifi at the Sony Center in Berlin, where access is free for all.

Amy advice gratefully received!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
ClareNet
Loading thread data ...

The hotel I am at using a wireless laptop requires you to have a onetime fee payment of $4.95, and you get a password that expires each month. The network is an unsecured network, put you have to give a password by going to a login screen over the Internet. The connection time expires every 24 hours where you have to give the password again to be able to access the Internet.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.