Unable to access wireless network from a laptop / Can from other PC and laptop

Hi,

My home has a wifi access point (or *something* like that configured to provide internet access***) in it. My dad can use his laptop and (fixed) home PC to access the internet over wireless without any issues. However, when I brought in my laptop (which I was using in a university (domain named) campus), and tried configuring it to use the network here, it didnt work. As far as I can tell, all the relevant IP addresses and settings, etc are identical - but still it doesnt work.

Here are the settings in my home PC (fixed) which has a wifi card: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOMEPC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: (RELEVANT) Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-45-01-82 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.59 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 Ethernet adapter XYZ-LAN: (NOT RELEVANT) Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HomeFree Phoneline 10Mb PCI Adapter #4 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 56-70-00-0F-72-64

What I'm set MY laptop as: IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.80 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

The laptop, because it was part of the university's domain, does specify the Primary Dns Suffix to be the school's... not sure if that is interfering with my attempts to connect here...

What other settings do I need to compare between the two machines?

BTW - there's no signal strength issue, etc.

Thanks, Sid

***My dad's office is located very close to our home, the wireless internet works fine there for all PCs INCLUDING my laptop. This device (in the house) is linked to the hub in the office by means of an ethernet cable. My dad can use his laptop in the office and home transparently.
Reply to
siliconpi
Loading thread data ...

Can you get a Make/model of the device? It will make the troubleshooting easier. It's possible that the router (access point) is setup for MAC address filtering, and therefore is only allowing your dad's laptop to connect. I'd check in the router(or access point) to see if MAC filtering is enabled.

This is a good sign, as it shows that the problem is not likely with your laptop's wireless device. I would really suspect MAC filtering now. Check that out and let us know.

-Luke

Reply to
Luke122

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.