Unable to access internet using wireless card Intel 3945abg

• I have Windows XP SP2
  • D-Link wireless router with built in modem dsl-2640b
  • Sony Vaio with Intel 3945abg wireless card
  • I'm relatively computer savvy
  • AT&T is my ISP provider

I can access the internet when hard wired to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jt-thesoftforge Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-A9-47-40-0D Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.237.8.247 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.237.8.247 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.94.156.1 69.227.255.30 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2008

21:38:17 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2008 21:38:47

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-60-D0-0E-E8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless

3945ABG Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-09-C4-D4

Please note that the default gateway is not the router. If I disconnect the wired connection and switch to wireless card, I will have internet access for a few minutes before the following settings will be applied to my wireless card:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jt-thesoftforge Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-A9-47-40-0D

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-60-D0-0E-E8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless

3945ABG Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-09-C4-D4 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.9.0.107 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2008 21:46:43 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2008 21:46:53

Everything looks correct except the weird DNS ip address which I have no idea where is coming from.

This network card is able to connect to other wireless routers. The router is not defective as I have replaced it and am still experiencing the same problem. Any attempt to override the automatic settings on the router or wireless card do not result in any success even if settings are identical to wired access which is working.

I have disabled all possible firewalls and anti-virus programs as well as upgrading to the latest driver updates and trying to fix my winsock. I tried connecting two other laptops but no success (both of which happened to be Sony Vaio). I can access the router wirelessly but cannot access the internet nor ping any ip address including DNS with a success (aside from the router).

I have a feeling that this is a hardware issue with my wireless network card which for some reason doesn't like the router. I've posted in other places though with more emphasis on the router rather than the wireless network card. I have been trying to troubleshoot this for many days now and am at the point of giving up and getting a different router/modem, though my curiosity currently keeps me at it.

If anybody else experienced something like that, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Reply to
jonathanztaub
Loading thread data ...

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" hath wroth:

How did you manage to get a DHCP lease that only lasts 30 seconds?

Same, but only 10 seconds.

Your IP addresses also make no sense. They should be in

192.168.1.xxx, not routeable IP's. Someting is screwy with your router.

It's past midnight and I'm too lazy to work out the possible culprits. My guess(tm) is that your DLink DSL-2640b has gone insane. Reset, rehash, rebuild, reload, reflash, reconfigure, or if all else fails, recycle the router.

Incidentally, since you appear to be obtaining routeable IP addresses via DHCP from your router, you probably have the router section disabled and are running it in some kind of access point mode (i.e. no router).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What happens to the Config if you turn off the DHCP server in the 2640b?

Are you positive that NAT is enabled in the 2640b?

Reply to
LR

I know my IP doesn't make sense. 3rd level support concluded that my router was faulty. I replaced the router and am having the exact same problem. I'm going to troubleshoot it again - my neighbor has two laptops and I'm going to look into it more carefully.

Reply to
jonathanztaub

When I set up the internet connection, this option is disabled. I was wondering about what NAT exactly is and whether it has something to do with it. Can you explain a bit more? I'm on my way to work and can't look into it now. Thanks.

Reply to
jonathanztaub

formatting link
you have NAT disabled it explains why you are getting an IP address of 76.237.8.247 on what should be your LAN. Enable NAT and try again.

Reply to
LR

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 69.227.255.30

Just to verify, the NAT has to be enabled on the *router*, correct? Are there any configuration parameters which might need to be set on the network interface on my laptop?

Reply to
jonathanztaub

Just enable NAT on the 2640b and as long as you are running a DHCP server you should not need to change the settings on your laptops i/face.

Reply to
LR

Ok. I'll do this once I get home. I think I already tried and there is actually a checkbox for that when setting up the PPPoE connection but it is always disabled. I'll try looking around for it and will return some feedback. Also, a neighbor of mine may stop by with two laptops and I'll troubleshoot things further.

Reply to
jonathanztaub

I called D-Link support and got disconnected three times. The person I spoke with told me that there is no way to disable the firewall and that the NAT service is there by default if using PPPoE. Sounds kinda weird to me, especially the firewall is always on part. Anyways....... I have wasted enough time on this and will probably buy the router/modem supported by AT&T. I guess my curiosity on this matter will never be satisfied.

I'd just like to point out that very few of the D-Link support people were actually helpful in some way or knowledgeable. Overall, the support was quite bad. Long wait times, lots of disconnects, and lots of blaming the ISP or "your modem is malfunctioning". I don't know if the problem is a combination of the router/ISP/network card/OS, but I have wasted enough time on it.

Thanks guys for trying to help me out.

Reply to
jonathanztaub

Tried more stuff but to no avail. I finally decided to give up on this and not satisfy my curiousity. I bought a 2Wire 2701hg-b wireless router with built in modem and got the whole thing working in a few minutes. I don't know what the problem was: hardware in combination of software and incompatibility between modem and ISP provider. I'll never know.

Reply to
jonathanztaub

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:48:13 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Good. Right thing to do. Better to switch than fight (the opposite of an old cig ad).

It's not worth it. Life's too short, and low end hardware isn't worth debugging.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.