Ultimate Combination -- WPN824 & WPN111

Hooray! My problems are finally solved.

I used to be getting dropped connections with WPN824v2 by itself. No matter what I tried did not make much difference (that is, having windows or the built-in laptop device control the wireless connection, etc, etc.)

Bang, I decided to shell out some 80 bucks & get the WPN111 (108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter), and I've gotten steady 54Mbps connection all afternoon.

By the way, this is NOT intended to be some type of advertising for Netgear as I am somewhat pissed that Netgear didn't configure the WPN824 to be fully compatible with other manufacturors' built-in adaptors -- in my case, the Intel PROSet Wireless device that came with my laptop. They clearly could have done this, and in my humble opinion this must have been a deliberate decision in order to sell their adaptors.

Nevertheless, I thought it would be worthwhile to pass this on for the frustrated users out there.

Reply to
natifnatal34
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net hath wroth:

Intel Proset 9.x or 10.x? 9.x seems flakey to me. 10.x worked just fine on the 4 laptops that I installed it on. |

formatting link
that Proset 10.x will not work on Intel 2100 cards.

Obviously if it doesn't work, it must be a conspiracy. A culprit must be identified before the problem can be solved. Careful whom you blame. As I recall, Netgear has release one or two firmware upgrades solely for Centrino compatibility.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yup, I have the Intel PROSet 9.0.1.0

Reply to
natifnatal34

formatting link
Note that Proset 10.x will not work on Intel 2100 cards.

Jeff, I have a perhaps elementary question for you. How do I find out whether or not my laptop has the Intel 2100 card?

Assuming it doesn't, is the Proset 10.x simply a firmware upgrade downloadable from Intel?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
natifnatal34

formatting link
> Note that Proset 10.x will not work on Intel 2100 cards.

1. Download and install Belarc Advisor:
    formatting link
    will produce a report of everything inside your computer including hardware, serial numbers, versions, updates, etc.
  2. Intel has some clues:
    formatting link
    a program the identifies the models and versions:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the quick reply. The following is the relevant info obtained through Belarc

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Intel PROSet/Wireless Version 9, 0, 0, 0 *

The driver version is 9.0.1.9

However, I am not quite sure what to download since the table at

formatting link
is somewhat confusing to me. Any thoughts - please?

Reply to
natifnatal34

You have an Intel 2200BG card. Download 10.1.0.6 from:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.