udp packets necessary for wifi connection

RULE:'DNS': PERMIT: In UDP, 172.16.0.1:1900->Loc:1900, OWNER: C:\\WINSYS\\SVCHOST.EXE RULE:'DNS': PERMIT: In UDP, 172.16.0.1:1900->Loc:1900, OWNER: C:\\WINSYS\\SVCHOST.EXE RULE:'DNS': PERMIT: In UDP, 172.16.0.1:1900->Loc:1900, OWNER: C:\\WINSYS\\SVCHOST.EXE RULE:'DNS': PERMIT: In UDP, 172.16.0.186:54605->Loc:2223, OWNER: no owner RULE:'DNS': PERMIT: In UDP, 172.16.0.186:54605->Loc:2223, OWNER: no owner

On a XP system, public access AP, I am receiving floods of these incoming UDP packets. If I block port 1900, I lose my assigned IP and cannot reconnect. On another system windows 98SE, if I block port 1900, no problem, stay connected.

Anyone know what the purpose of these incoming UDP packets is? They are being sent by the gateway/dns server..

Reply to
colorpurple
Loading thread data ...

Port 1900 is normally used for SSDP.

It is part of UPnP and will be included in XP as standard. Your Win 98SE machine does not have it has standard and it will only be included if you have perhaps included the "ICS Client" from XP. You could try disabling the UPnp Service on your XP machine and see if it will connect to the AP with port 1900 blocked. I would guess, not certain, that port 54605 is used as an alternative for M-SEARCH messages. "SEARCHPORT.UPNP.ORG OPTIONAL. If a device does not send the SEARCHPORT.UPNP.ORG header field, it MUST respond to unicast M-SEARCH messages on port 1900. Only if port 1900 is unavailable MAY a device select a different port to respond to unicast M-SEARCH messages. If a device sends the SEARCHPORT.UPNP.ORG header field, its field value MUST be an ASCII encoded integer, decimal, without leading zeros (leading zeroes, if present, MUST be ignored by the recipient), in the range 49152-65535 (RFC 4340). The device MUST respond to unicast M-SEARCH messages that are sent to the advertised port."

Reply to
LR

Port 1900 is uPNP, it shouldn't be required in most cases unless you're using uPNP, but I've seen weirder things.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.