Ubiquity bridge kit

I asked here if anyone had experience with the Ubiquity 5-mile bridge hardware. Nobody responded, but with time, I grew so enamored of the advertised specs, I just had to order a pair.

I'm one of the several people here who wanted to bridge two relatively distant buildings without wire and trenching. So... I'll let you know when they arrive just what their hoopla is all about.

If they're half as good as they tout, they should be a very good solution, and at a pretty manageable price.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Loading thread data ...

Ubiquity has a broad product range. Are you using the PS series?

formatting link

Reply to
DTC

DTC fired this volley in news:YnRxk.12655 $ snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

The PS-2 bridge kit is what I ordered. It claims a near-guaranteed 5- miles in all weather (doubtful in the rain storms we get), and up to

30km clear line-of-sight. I only have about 500' between sites, but want a robust, near-100% uptime link.

The kit (2 PS-2 units) and two crookneck mounting masts came to about $360 with shipping. That's well within the cost of a couple of ordinary wifi boxes and antennae, and it's pre-weather proofed.

We'll see. I'm not the sort who'll just sit on unsatisfactory hardware, if it doesn't live up to their claims.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Price is about right.

All manufacturers advertise astounding ranges, but they don't tell you its at the lowest data speed.

Rain really isn't an issue at 2.4 Gig.

The only downside of the PS units is the mounting wingnuts break VERY easy.

You'll be happy with your investment.

Reply to
DTC

DTC wrote in news:QnWxk.41108$ZE5.3417 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the lower speeds the pwr out is listed as

26dBm, which is 400 mw. Can that be turned down, because.....

....add the 17 db antenna and your at 43 dbm ERP, which, if I calculted right is about 20W ERP.

A bit overkill for a 500 ft, IMO.

Reply to
DanS

DanS fired this volley in news:Xns9B15B11837CA7thisnthatadelphianet@85.214.90.236:

Indeed, overkill. But I have two issues with that:

1) The cost of 50mw WallyWorld crap with antennae ends up about the same. 2) yes, it can be turned down 3) I have a "future application" with a range of about 1km.

I got the units, backordered for a bit, but shipped promptly upon arrival to the vendor.

I mounted them (without breaking the wingnuts -- which do appear to be zinc pot metal.)

I fired them up, and configured one as a "station" and the other as an "access point" per the bridge config instructions.

Instantly, without tweaking the aim, I had 80% signal on one, and 100% on the other.

I haven't yet done the plenum-crawl to get the ethernet cables from them to my punch-down blocks, so bandwidth testing will be in a few days.

So far, the only complaint I have is that they come with NO documentation -- "go online to

formatting link
" (duh!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks for posting your info/experience. I guess I don't follow wireless tech enough so I was unaware of the PowerStation2 or Ubiquity Networks. It looks like just what I want to establish a link between two locations about 1.5 miles distant that has 1st fresnel zone clearance (yes, this is a project I've written about before in this group and I think I finally found what I'm looking for and may get "a round tuit" this fall).

I'm interested in doing a point-to-point transparent bridge which is what I assume you've done. At this time a single PC will be at the far link for ISP connection sharing. I'm a bit confused about Ubiquity's use of AP and station throughout the documentation I've read, although it may be logically the same as master/slave in some other products.

More details of your configuration would be most appreciated if you get the chance to post them.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Its

formatting link

formatting link
formatting link
The power is turned down under the Link Setup tab, it can be turned down to 6 dB. Don't use the Obey Regulatory Power selection as it limits your output to 16 dBm.

The AirOS GUI is the same for all their products, so don't worry if it says LiteStation if your using a Nanostation, etc.

Its pretty straight forward, I didn't even review the instructions for the first link I set up.

Reply to
DTC

Looks like a nice kit, where did you purchase it from? Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Streakwave carries them. I have the Nanostations.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.