Tyco Wireless Routers

I have a Tyco Dual Band Wireless Access Point (Model 0-1591700-x) that is giving me enormous problems.

Before I throw the thing against the wall and declare it a P.O.S. I wanted to find some reviews to see if others have had similar problems. But I cant find a damn thing on google... So who is Tyco? Are they reputable? Anyone have experience with them or know where I can find some reviews for this model?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

Google shows Tyco info as here;

formatting link
is a large electronics company based in PA.

Reply to
Ralph27

here;

formatting link
Tyco is a large electronics company based in PA.

Google search results: "cisco router" 1,030,000 results "linksys router" 906,000 results "tyco router" 0 results

My point is: for a "large" company there is an amazing lack of reference to their router(s) on the net, no links for firmware on their own page, no customer reviews or feedback anywhere. I conclude that this is the very first router they've ever made, and sadly all the bugs have not been worked out. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis hath wroth:

What problems?

Tyco is the parent company of M/A-COM, which is a highly respected manufactory of all manner of military and industrial wireless and 2 way radio contrivances.

However, unless I missed something, they don't make anything with

2.4GHz or 5.8GHz 802.11a/b/g. They do 4.9GHz and 802.16(WiMax). From experience with their new P25 radios, I would say that anything that M/A-COM makes is quite superior and well worth using.

Tyco Intl is HUGE. 240,000 employees and $41 billion in global revenue. It's possible the Tyco owns a different wireless manufactory, but I couldn't find anything on their web pile.

My guess(tm) is that Tyco may have relabelled the device to meet some contract requirements. A photo might also be helpful.

Look on the serial number tag for the FCC ID number. Post it including any punctuation marks. Dig through the FCC ID web site for clues.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Great info there, thanks Jeff!!! This is the model in question here:

formatting link
Personally I'm having a hell of a time getting the thing to hold a connection using a/g or b with any kind of encryption. I have two of these Tyco models, a few wireless Dlink models, and a few Linksys models, I'm CCNA & CWNA certified. I know my way around a wireless router. I'm just getting a 'bad vibe' and alot of unneeded stress from this Tyco. Before I waste any more time troubleshooting the thing I wanted to find out if it's even worthy of the efforts.

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis hath wroth:

Mr Ralph27 found it first. I tried Google and got nothing with the model number. I also tried various tricks to find the Tyco access point with Google and couldn't. I also couldn't find the wireless access point using the searches at TycoElectronics.com and from Lan-Electronics.com. No firmware updates that I could find on the support page since introduction in 2003. Seems like a very well hidden product and an oddity mixed in with products that are mostly media converters and managed network devices.

I note that Lan-Electronics is in the UK (see bottom of access point data sheet) and you're in Canada.

What's the FCC ID? I can tell quite a bit about the guts and OEM source from the type certification report. I tried looking for "Tyco" in the FCC Grantee Search and ended up with far to many groups to search efficiently. Tyco, Amp, or Lan-Electronics probably didn't make the device. It was made by some OEM and they stuck their name on it. If you can find the OEM, there may be firmware updates (and more clues) available.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

The "0-1591700-x" is just a generic number with the "x" being replaced for a number referring to the country of use, in the case of the US it would be 1. Search for "0-1591700-1" only gives a couple of hits but it is still listed on page 217 of the Amp Netconnect catalogue. A "Customer Drawing" is available from:-

formatting link

done in North Wales UK.

0-1591700-2
formatting link
gives another link to the drawing done for Amp Incorporated..

Tyco in North Wales used to be Pinacl Communication Systems check the Mac address of the AP to see if it starts 00-40-20

Reply to
kev

Tyco is a "megacorp" who owns a bunch of companies. They came to fame a few years back as one of the posterboys for corporate excess. You may remember the CEO Dennis Kozlowski and notable things such as the $6,000 shower curtains in his apartment and the $2,000,000 togo party on Sardinia thrown for his wifes birthday all paid for by the stockholders.

Reply to
George

kev hath wroth:

formatting link
formatting link

Well, that drawing and the original photo suggested that it may have been type certified by AMP, a Tyco subsidiary. So, I dug back into the FCC ID data dumpster, fished out the ID prefix for Amp (FUV), and found that they had type certified a few wireless devices between 1996 thru 1998. That seems too early for a dual band access point with SSID hiding, WPA, TLS, and 802.1x, but worth a look anyway. The problem was that most of the data was missing. There were a few photos remaining that looked very much like early Proxim products, but nothing that looks like the Tyco product. Another dead end, unless the FCC servers have crashed (again). I'll try again later.

Yep. No -1 for US in the list. At least they have a PDF drawing instead of TIF.

That will also help. I'm getting the feeling that there's not much support for this product from Tyco, AMP, Pinacl, or whatever. Unless the OEM can be found, methinks the lack of updates is going to be a problem.

Thanks (I like mysteries and puzzles).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

formatting link
> just gives another link to the drawing done for Amp Incorporated..

If one believes this is up to date then there are non outstanding since manufacture.

formatting link

I had a look at the manual and couldn't see any FCC ID on any of the pictured labels however in one of the pictures of the main screen for the AP it lists the MAC addresses as starting 00:02:6F which is SENAO International Co. Taiwan

Reply to
kev

Great posts guys, any info is much appreciated! I'd rather not throw out these Tyco routers, I'd rather hear that new firmware is in the works and a fix is possible.

My original conclusion & challenge is still out there: "This is the very first (wireless) router they (this division of the mega-corp) ever made, and sadly all the bugs have not been worked out."

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reply to
Dennis

Try #4. Is there an FCC ID number on the serial number tag? If so, what is it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Suggest you send them an e-mail.

Reply to
kev

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.