Two wirless routers in the house?

Hi. I have a Microsoft MN-510 and a Linksys WRT54G. Is it possible to have both of them running at the same time? ie.. connect one router to the other router via ethernet cable and have two networks? On separate channels? Would there be subnet issues?

Reply to
KraftDiner
Loading thread data ...

yes indeed a MN-500.. Sorry for the typo.

Reply to
KraftDiner

dont know your two routers & their configs.

fwiw i did that for a while, 2nd router allowed manual routing tables. the second router network was isolated from the gateway lan clients but was able to access the gateway routers network clients.

had occasional snafu with it too ...as is also was designed as a gateway router something would occasionally trigger, pulling a 2nd wan ip so suddenly would have two gateways as well. Certainly my isp could have complained sooner or later.

Reply to
bumtracks

I don't see why you could not configure the second router as a switch that would become a wire/wireless AP switch connecting it into one of the gateway router's LAN ports using a static IP from the gateway router. The switch could be on another channel with DHCP disabled making it a switch. However, all machines using the switch would be on the same network as machines on the gateway router and machines will be able to access each other.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Are you sure it is a MN-510 as this is a USB adaptor

formatting link
did you mean a MN-500
formatting link

Reply to
Rob

It is not very clear exactly what you wish to achieve but if you wish to use the MN-500 as an access point see the installation CD

From Manual You have an existing network with a base station, gateway, or router, and want to use this base station as an access point. See the MN-500: Base Station Configuration Guide on the Setup CD

Reply to
Rob

I want to have the computers that are only WEP capable to use the MN-500 and those that are WPA enabled to use the Linksys WRT54G.

Reply to
KraftDiner

Here is one setup I have assembled with 3 routers. I can access either wireless router so I will assume what you want to do is possible! ;-)

__[wan]modem/router[lan]__[wan]router[lan]__[lan]router

(Speedstream 5861)_______SMCwirelessrouter____100ftCAT5___SMCwirelessrouter IIRC The 2 SMC routers both have their DHCP disabled, but the 1st SMC got it's LAN address changed to be included into the 5861's LAN's IP range and the second just has a static WAN IP address that is also in the 5861's LAN's IP range. I probably made this too complicated but it works, I can move files between computers and share a printer on 1 computer!!! ;-)

I needed/wanted to set up the two wireless routers to have 2 wired & 1 wireless accesses to the network. The first SMC router has a very limited transmitting range.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

To correct my other post, the first to second and the second to third routers are both lan to lan connections. And not lan to wan. later, dave

5861)_______SMCwirelessrouter____100ftCAT5___SMCwirelessrouter
Reply to
One out of many daves

How far apart were you intending to place these routers?

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.