TWO wireless networks, TWO homes, want to BRIDGE the wireless connections

Ok, here is the setup

My house D link 624 108mb router HP Laptop Internal 54G

His House D link 524 54mb router Sony Vaio Laptop

I want to bridge the two wireless routers together, so we can access each others files etc,.Right now I have to dissconnect my own wireless connection, then connect to his, then when finished recconect back to mine. I want it to all work seamless without all that jazz, I also want to have quick access to his drives, I would like to map network drives to access his computer.

I dont know if this is possible with these two routers, It doesnt seem feasible. My thoughts are get another wireless card then bridge them together, thus retaining my wireless connection on primary card then access his on the secondary card, I had a wireless card in my pcmcia slot at one point and I think it disable my internal somehow. I could always do a usb 2.0 wireless card, any ideas?

Reply to
IcemanMods
Loading thread data ...

Dunno about D-Link, but what about setting up a VPN thru the internet to tie them together?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't want to do that. While possible, it wuold be extrememly slow compared to a direct bridge.

Reply to
DanS

OK, but you are going to need a real 2-port router to sit between two client-mode APs, and program it to pass LAN traffic while letting each one get WAN traffic from their separate broadband connections. The APs are easy, but the router might be difficult or expensive.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I agree on the cost of the 2 port router, that would be expensive, I am not well versed on vpn's where is a good place on the net to read about setting one up, I would realy like to do this rather than droppping mine to connect to his.

Reply to
IcemanMods

You'll have to check the documentation on your two routers to see if they support VPNs, and can set up a VPN between them. Client software and a VPN endpoint is going to get realy ugly really fast.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

Some IPSec VPN clients can be messy very fast. Others are really simple. For example, Cisco's VPN client for Windoze 4.6 has a "simple" mode. It's not too horrible to configure: |

formatting link
148 pages of instructions. Well, maybe a little closer to horrible than what I recall when I was using it.

PPTP VPN's are trivial. The DD-WRT alternative firmware for the WRT54G supports terminating a PPTP VPN in the router. The client can be just a Windoze machine (any version) setup with Microsoft PPTP client. |

formatting link
You can also have the router initiate the connection, thus creating one big (bi-directional) network out of the two endpoints by installing the Linux PPTP client in the router: |
formatting link
haven't tried this one but I've been told that it works.

There are also some really cheap IPSec VPN router from Linksys and Netgear, that will work. I use Sonicwall routers for VPN's, but that's far more expensive.

One catch is that the speed of the VPN is limited by the outgoing bandwidth of the DSL or cable connection. That's usually 384Kbit/sec, which will make the VPN appear rather slothish. IPSec also has quite a bit of overhead, which will slow things down even more. Worse, the VPN encryption/decryption overhead in the router (if terminiated or initiated in the router) will really slow down the processor in the router. If you expect performance, a VPN is not the best answer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

holy crap, now thats the kind of information I find useful, It is exactly what I am looking for at least for the time being, its a place to start

Reply to
IcemanMods

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Which was my original point exactly.

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.