two routers (one wireless, one wired)

I'm having a problem with the range of my Wi-Fi network. I'd like to move the wireless access point to a higher spot in the home (a bedrooim), but there's no TV cable jack in that bedroom--however there is a cat-5 wire running up there.

I currently have my Wi-Fi in the far end of the house on the main floor. Ideally, I think the Wi-Fi point should be moved to the upstairs bedroom (where the cat-5 is but no cable outlet).

Is it possible to use the hardwired router as my Internet gateway. Then place the wireless D-link router in the upstairs bedroom which would connect via a LAN port?

-----/internet through cable/---------------[wired router]---------[wireless router]----z-----[wireless clients]

Both routers are D-Link. The wireless is a "B" setup (DI-514)

Reply to
z4869375
Loading thread data ...

Okay, I've been doing a Google search and I might be able to do it. Basically change the IP address of the wireless router and then turn off DHCP.

But the DI-514 doesn't have an uplink port. Do I need one? Do I just use a regular cat-5 wire or do I need a crossover cable between the two routers?

Reply to
z4869375

How does the wired router work (the one connected to the Internet)? Does it do NAT or some kind of masquarading from the wireless router?

Reply to
z4869375

formatting link
"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys router?"

This is probably generic enough to apply to your D-Link.

The DI-514 has an Auto MDI/MDIX port. You don't need a crossover cable.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.