Two Netgear WGT624 models will not communicate

I have a pair of Netgear WGT624 routers. They have been configured exactly the same, other than for static IP addresses. Either router works fine to communicate with my wireless printer (HP 6980). So I know things are basically working. The problem is, the two routers do not seem to communicate with each other.

The intention of these routers is to establish fast LAN connectivity with my brother's house right across the street. Distance is about

60 feet.

I've been doing the testing with both routers inside at distances that vary from 3 to 12 feet. The printer is 30 feet away toward the other side of the house, and the reported signal strength is 5 out of 1-5. Ping timings with the printer is very good. ARP resolution shows the printer MAC address, so it is a direct in-segment communication. And this works for either router being used.

All the computers are in one room and connected with a wired switch. The routers are plugged into the switch one or two at a time to be configured and/or tested (and also when I need to do printing). I can ping the router IP addresses as well as the printer IP address just fine, but for the routers this is only when they are plugged in the switch. When I have one of the routers not on the switch, then it cannot be reeached.

Both routers are identical (except for MAC addresses): Manufacturer: Netgear Model: WGT524NA Hardware: V3H1 Firmware: V2.0.10_1.0.1NA

Both routers are set as follows: Channel: 08 Mode: g and b Security: WPA2-PSK [AES] SSID: (same including same as printer) Passphrase: (same including same as printer) RIP Direction: Both RIP Version: RIP_2B

If I can reach the printer (ping works, printing works) when just one of the routers is connected to the wired switch, why would I not be able to reach the other router? Are they somehow designed to not communicate with each other?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam
Loading thread data ...

1. Yep:

- Wireless routers and access points do NOT talk to each others.

- Wireless bridges will talk to each other.

- Wireless routers with WDS (wireless distribution service) will talk to each other.

- Wireless client adapters and wireless client bridge adapters will talk to a wireless router or access point.

1. If you switch to wireless bridge, the wireless printer and other wireless clients will NOT be able to talk to either bridge radio. Therefore, this is a bad idea. I presume that you cannot run CAT between the two wireless routers, so you're only useful option is WDS, which will allow simultaneous bridging and acting as an access point. You'll need to buy different boxes.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:40:40 GMT Jeff Liebermann wrote: | On 19 Jul 2006 04:54:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>I have a pair of Netgear WGT624 routers. They have been configured |>exactly the same, other than for static IP addresses. Either router |>works fine to communicate with my wireless printer (HP 6980). So I |>know things are basically working. The problem is, the two routers |>do not seem to communicate with each other. (...) | | 1. Yep: | - Wireless routers and access points do NOT talk to each others. | - Wireless bridges will talk to each other. | - Wireless routers with WDS (wireless distribution service) will | talk to each other. | - Wireless client adapters and wireless client bridge adapters | will talk to a wireless router or access point. | | 2. If you switch to wireless bridge, the wireless printer and other | wireless clients will NOT be able to talk to either bridge radio. | Therefore, this is a bad idea. I presume that you cannot run CAT | between the two wireless routers, so you're only useful option is WDS, | which will allow simultaneous bridging and acting as an access point. | You'll need to buy different boxes.

Can a WDS talk to a router? If I can find one box that can talk to both routers, that wouls still achieve my goal with the same number of boxes.

A wireless card in a PC is not option for this.

The goal is to connect LANs in 2 houses across the street from each other about 55 feet apart.

Why the different technologies? Wouldn't it have been simpler to design one universal protocol that worked everywhere much as ethernet is, and then let thinks like routing be added on top of that?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Do you want either or both of the houses to also have WiFi available to other computers?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net hath wroth:

No. WDS is a protocol used to make wireless routers talk to each other.

Thanks for disclosing what you're trying to accomplish. Since you don't want anything inside the computah, and I'll guess that you have more than one computah on both sides of the street, what you want is an ordinary wireless router on the side with the DSL/cable/satellite/whatever, and an ethernet client bridge radio on the other side. The WGT624 will suffice for the router.

formatting link
selecting the ethernet client bridge is going to be a bit of a challenge. It has to be able to bridge more than one MAC address which eliminates a few wireless "game adapters". I don't see anything on the Netgear site that might work. Linksys WAP54G in client mode will work. Same with several other access points that happen to have a client mode. My current favorite is the WRT54G v3 with DD-WRT alternative firmware running in client mode.

If you only have one computer on the client side of the street, you might consider a USB adapter or game adapter, which are MUCH simpler.

Also, even though it's only 55ft, make sure you have line of sight, no trees in the way, and that the signal path isn't broken by passing traffic.

In future questions, please include:

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What do you have to work with? It makes answering questions much easier.

I'll spare you my opinions of standards committees and "universal" solutions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |>The goal is to connect LANs in 2 houses across the street from each other |>about 55 feet apart. | | Do you want either or both of the houses to also have WiFi available | to other computers?

Let me give you full layout.

In my house (house one) I have a rack of computers in which it is not an option to use a wireless PC card. The only option is something that can connect via an ethernet port to the switch that services those computers. I can make 1 or more of those computers act as a router as they are all running *nix (no Windows there).

There will also be a DSL connection. It is not yet wired up, but it will NOT go directly to the computer room. The intention is for DSL to go to a wireless device such that if there is a lightning strike on the phone line, only the wireless device connected to the DSL would be lost.

There is also a printer, which cannot fit in or near the computer room. It is a wireless printer, model HP 6980.

I want the rack of computers to be able to talk to the DSL connection. I want the rack of computers to be able to talk to the printer.

The printer and DSL do not need to talk to each other. However, if the only way to make things work is to bounce packets off the DSL router, that is acceptable.

In my brother's house is a cable connection. It already exists. There are two computers at present, more later. The cable connects now to one PC running Windows XP. His wife has a laptop with a wireless card that can be used, which works when she takes the laptop to work. His son has a computer that dual boots Windows 98 and Linux. He wants to add wireless to get internet access from it, but he needs to have some parental control on the access.

Both the Window XP machine, and his wife's laptop, need to access internet (through their cable connection) and access my rack of computers. Also, his wife may bring her laptop over here and need to access internet and my computers ... but in this case, internet via my DSL will be fine. The idea is that accessing things between houses NOT go by way of internet.

The houses are across the street from each other, about 55 feet. I don't need full capacity between the houses, but I do plan to put a backup file server over in my brother's house in the future, and sync the two together over the wireless (not going through DSL or cable).

Cross sharing of either internet connectivity is NOT required. I can do that with in-computer routing or proxy servers, if ever needed. But the wireless devices do NOT need to do any of that themselves. That might overly complicate things, anyway.

Summarizing the logical connections needed:

1. Rack of computers [house 1] printer [house 1]
  2. Rack of computers [house 1] DSL router [house 1]
  3. Rack of computers [house 1] visiting laptop [when at house 1]
  4. printer [house 1] visiting laptop (NICE but NOT essential)
  5. Rack of computers [house 1] Windows XP [house 2]
  6. Rack of computers [house 1] laptop [when at house 2]
  7. Rack of computers [house 1] Win98/Linux [house 2]
  8. Cable router [house 2] Windows XP [house 2]
  9. Cable router [house 2] laptop [when at house 2]
  10. Cable router [house 2] Win98/Linux [house 2] (NOT essential)

Note that the laptop does need access to the rack of computers from both houses, but which way it gets in does not really matter. If it takes a long path across the street and back, that's acceptable.

And again, a wireless PC card is definitely not an option on the rack of computers. That connectivity is via its ethernet switch (preferred), or an ethernet port in one of the machines, only.

I now have the 2 Netgear WGT624's. If they can continue to be used, fine. If I need to replace them with something else, fine ... but I would need to get past all the marketing BS the manufactures and retails give and get exact model numbers that will communicate with each other (including with what can be connected as internet routers to DSL here and cable there).

I hope that gives the complete picture.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net hath wroth: | |>Can a WDS talk to a router? | | No. WDS is a protocol used to make wireless routers talk to each | other.

Could you tell me why it is they can't talk to each other in the first place? The air is like one big bus. Of course there are issues with respect to radio frequency use. But once the radio waves are back in a packet of bits, why would they not be able to work? Is the issue that some units TX on one freq and RX on another, and other units have that reversed (e.g. to do full duplex)?

|>The goal is to connect LANs in 2 houses across the street from each other |>about 55 feet apart. | | Thanks for disclosing what you're trying to accomplish. Since you | don't want anything inside the computah, and I'll guess that you have | more than one computah on both sides of the street, what you want is | an ordinary wireless router on the side with the | DSL/cable/satellite/whatever, and an ethernet client bridge radio on | the other side. The WGT624 will suffice for the router. |

formatting link
| However, selecting the ethernet client bridge is going to be a bit of | a challenge. It has to be able to bridge more than one MAC address | which eliminates a few wireless "game adapters". I don't see anything | on the Netgear site that might work. Linksys WAP54G in client mode | will work. Same with several other access points that happen to have | a client mode. My current favorite is the WRT54G v3 with DD-WRT | alternative firmware running in client mode.

Just got off the phone with Netgear pre-sales tech. He says use WG602 to talk to WGT624. But I have my doubts. I don't know if it's my American accent confusing him, or his Indian accent confusing me.

| If you only have one computer on the client side of the street, you | might consider a USB adapter or game adapter, which are MUCH simpler.

I don't think "client side of the street" is meaningful, here. Think of it as connecting one ethernet LAN to another ethernet LAN. If it were wired CAT5, either a crossover cable would do it, or a regular cable with one end in a "upstream" port (the ones with reversed RX/TX).

| Also, even though it's only 55ft, make sure you have line of sight, no | trees in the way, and that the signal path isn't broken by passing | traffic.

Cordless phones on 2.4 GHz work between OK (base in one, carry phone to the other).

| In future questions, please include: | 1. What problem are you trying to solve? | 2. What do you have to work with? | It makes answering questions much easier.

I can build up to that. In many cases a succinct question works. And when it doesn't, more detail can be provided.

|>Why the different technologies? Wouldn't it have been simpler to design |>one universal protocol that worked everywhere much as ethernet is, and |>then let thinks like routing be added on top of that? | | I'll spare you my opinions of standards committees and "universal" | solutions.

I must assume there are split frequencies involved and some boxes TX on one of them and other boxes RX on that one and TX on the other.

But if it's a genuine single frequency ping pong, then the engineers who designed the part on the bits/packets side of things seem to have some really twisted idea of how to infrastructure things.

BTW, if ethernet twisted pair, e.g. with those RJ-45 jacks, had been designed with RX always on one side and TX always on the other, then what we know today as a crossover cable would work. But in such a case, we would only need that one type of cable and that one type of port and everything would always just work. But no, some brainless dweeb decided we have to have 2 different kinds of ports (so we can use straight through cables between them) and then have yet another kind of cable to deal with the mixups. So yeah, I know how the people that design these things can really make a mess of things. Seems that wireless is ethernet gone even worse.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Maybe. Wireless topology was originally designed to be a star. Central access point and clients that only talk to the central acccess point. Additional access points can be added, but only with an ethernet backbone. When 802.11 was first inscribed, the possibility of building an extensible network topology was discussed, but not implimented. Even the now ubiquitous repeater is only vaguely mentioned and is very poorly defined.

The limiting factor in having two access points talk to each other is in the bridging protocol. For a star topology, with clients that only connect to one access point, the client bridge table need only keep track of one MAC address to hardware port mapping. It's also easy on the access point end because the AP need only keep track of whether the MAC address is on the ethernet LAN, or wireless LAN interfaces.

Were to access points to talk to each other, they would by necessity need to bridge more than one MAC address. That means a bridging protocol that tracks the interface location of all the wireless clients. That's missing in the typical access point.

What WDS actually does is graft this missing transparent bridging protocol onto the access point. Rather than impliment a spanning tree algorithm, WDS uses a fixed route table that requires users to inscribe the destination MAC address of the other WDS routers in the system. This would be necessary anyway for security purposes.

Some detail on WDS and how it works:

formatting link
I know that this is a somewhat simplistic explanation but I'm late for a free lunch.

True, but all protocols are not alike. The freeways are also one big bus. Pedestrians, bicycles, and motor vehicles can all traverse this bus. However, there's some question as to whether they can talk to each or even co-exist.

RF is only the media layer. 802.11 encapsulates ethernet and can run on other media besides RF. For example, the infrared comm specifiction is buried in 802.11a.

For the same reason that Mac bits and PC bits don't interoperate directly. They need either a common protocol or a conversion mechanism. Just because they look like bits, doesn't mean they can converse.

No. Everything in 802.11 wireless is half duplex. A box can transmit or receive, one at a time. In a WDS systems, all radios are on the same channel.

The WG602 is an access point. The data sheet shows that it supports "bridging", which is a bit like saying that an automobile supports moving. It's too vague. I don't have time to RTFM, but if the WG602 has a client mode, where you inscribe the MAC address of the access point you're connecting it to, then it *MIGHT* work. The problem is that you need to bridge more than one MAC address due to the number of computers involved.

A better choice might be to purchase a transparent bridge, which will support multiple MAC addresses, but not allow any connections from client radios. I haven't read your detailed description of your setup, but if any of the laptops need to connect to these wireless bridge radios individually, a transparent bridge will not work.

Sorry. I didn't read your detailed description before I posted the above reply. I was guessing a typical laptop and desktop on one side, not a server farm. A transparent bridge seems to be appropriate. Normally, I would recommend a pair of WAP54G wireless bridges, but the last pair are hanging all the time in bridge mode. I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

Not good enough. My 2.4GHz cordless phone will go about 1000ft (line of sight). My wireless won't do that without replacement antennas. The faster you go (data rate), the higher the BER (bit error rate). In order to keep the BER reasonable, the range gets shortened.

Do you have line of sight? Can the antennas see each other? Are you going through any walls, trees, bushes, etc? Windows are usually ok. Line of sight is the single biggest determining factor of reliability and performance.

You've done quite well in the other posting. What's missing is the line of sight issue and performance expectations. How fast is the cable modem?

Nope. Everything on one "frequency" or rather channel as 802.11 spread spectrum occupies about 22Mhz of spectrum.

Yep. I'll forward your criticism. IEEE 802.11 was initially standardized about 10 years ago. Rub your magic crystal ball and try to define the exact wireless technology requirements for the next 10 years. I know people that are doing just that and it's not easy. If extensibility is all that was left out of 802.11a/b/g, then I think the committee did an exemplary job.

In effect, what you're asking for is mesh networking technology, where the network can be extended by replicating access points. That's being done in 802.11s, but has quite a way to go.

formatting link

I worked with a committee to do exactly that but with RS-232 on RJ-45 and RJ-50 jacks. It fell apart because manufacturers thought they had some proprietary advantage to creative wiring and didn't want to change their existing wiring schemes. When EIA-568A and B were contrived, it was to try and simultanously satisify the telco and computah mobs. That's not an easy job when Ma Bell is on one side, and the rest of the planet on the other. That's why there are two standards where EIA-568B is a clone of the Bell 258A wiring standard.

formatting link
when I saw my first modular plug in the early 1960's, I almost barfed in disgust. What a flimsy piece of cheap junk is all I can say. Well, Darwinian "Survival of the Cheapest" is apparently epidemic in the connector business.

The reasons why such things are done are not always evident. Telco POTS wiring uses the center pair for L1 and straddles them with another L2 pair. The remaining two pairs are for data. The goal was to come up with a combined data/voice connector scheme that would involve the least amount of wiring changes to existing hardware. Since there were millions of voice connections, but very few data connections, voice won. Were this done today, it would be very different, but if you roll back the clock to the days of the 3B2, the choices were very different.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:30:47 -0700 Jeff Liebermann wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net hath wroth: | |>Could you tell me why it is they can't talk to each other in the first |>place? | | Maybe. Wireless topology was originally designed to be a star. | Central access point and clients that only talk to the central acccess | point. Additional access points can be added, but only with an | ethernet backbone. When 802.11 was first inscribed, the possibility | of building an extensible network topology was discussed, but not | implimented. Even the now ubiquitous repeater is only vaguely | mentioned and is very poorly defined. | | The limiting factor in having two access points talk to each other is | in the bridging protocol. For a star topology, with clients that only | connect to one access point, the client bridge table need only keep | track of one MAC address to hardware port mapping. It's also easy on | the access point end because the AP need only keep track of whether | the MAC address is on the ethernet LAN, or wireless LAN interfaces. | | Were to access points to talk to each other, they would by necessity | need to bridge more than one MAC address. That means a bridging | protocol that tracks the interface location of all the wireless | clients. That's missing in the typical access point.

Or alternatively, translate to level 3 and re-announce as IP addresses in a routing protocol like RIP. But none of this is new; wire switches do this all the time.

| What WDS actually does is graft this missing transparent bridging | protocol onto the access point. Rather than impliment a spanning tree | algorithm, WDS uses a fixed route table that requires users to | inscribe the destination MAC address of the other WDS routers in the | system. This would be necessary anyway for security purposes.

Would not the encryption of the packets themselves be sufficient security? Seems to me that once you get RF into a bit stream/packet then you want to be sure it is authorized (security) before doing any more with it (valid SSID, phrase, key, etc).

|>The air is like one big bus. | | True, but all protocols are not alike. The freeways are also one big | bus. Pedestrians, bicycles, and motor vehicles can all traverse this | bus. However, there's some question as to whether they can talk to | each or even co-exist.

For ethernet over wireless it's not much different than ethernet over a coaxial cable, besides the greater noise, more lossage, and hackers tapping in. Operationally, it seems like it should be the same. But if there are separate RX and TX frequencies, a few things could get more complicated.

|>Of course there are issues with |>respect to radio frequency use. | | RF is only the media layer. 802.11 encapsulates ethernet and can run | on other media besides RF. For example, the infrared comm | specifiction is buried in 802.11a. | |>But once the radio waves are back in |>a packet of bits, why would they not be able to work? | | For the same reason that Mac bits and PC bits don't interoperate | directly. They need either a common protocol or a conversion | mechanism. Just because they look like bits, doesn't mean they can | converse.

That's what we have ethernet, IP, TCP, etc, for. Of course if two strange machines want to talk to each other in Gibberish 2.0 then why not.

|>Is the issue |>that some units TX on one freq and RX on another, and other units have |>that reversed (e.g. to do full duplex)? | | No. Everything in 802.11 wireless is half duplex. A box can transmit | or receive, one at a time. In a WDS systems, all radios are on the | same channel.

Then I can't see the reason for separate client mode at the media layer other than to force the star topology. IMHO, star topology should not be used in many cases.

|>Just got off the phone with Netgear pre-sales tech. He says use WG602 |>to talk to WGT624. But I have my doubts. I don't know if it's my |>American accent confusing him, or his Indian accent confusing me. | | The WG602 is an access point. The data sheet shows that it supports | "bridging", which is a bit like saying that an automobile supports | moving. It's too vague. I don't have time to RTFM, but if the WG602 | has a client mode, where you inscribe the MAC address of the access | point you're connecting it to, then it *MIGHT* work. The problem is | that you need to bridge more than one MAC address due to the number of | computers involved.

A limit on MAC addresses is something I can get around. I'll just split up in subnets and route from one of the Linux boxes. In fact I already have quite a number of subnets overlayed onto these machines in various combinations now. Depending on which IP I send to, it could go direct or be routed by some machine, or a different machine, or multi-hop. I have 169.254.0.0/16 as one big segment subnet, and chopped 172.16.0.0/12 into a lot of varying sizes of CIDR.

It looks like the WGPS606 might actually do this. It shows in one of the diagrams as communicating with a WGR614 router.

formatting link

| A better choice might be to purchase a transparent bridge, which will | support multiple MAC addresses, but not allow any connections from | client radios. I haven't read your detailed description of your | setup, but if any of the laptops need to connect to these wireless | bridge radios individually, a transparent bridge will not work.

The wireless printer does. I think that will be a client need. Also, my sister-in-law might need net access here when she brings her laptop over (unless we can be sure it will communicate on its own back to her house).

If the transparent bridge will talk wirelessly to the router (WGT624) then the router serving as the internet gateway can serve clients, IFF it can be told to _route_ (it has RIPv2 so there is hope) over to my LAN of computers.

I have an old brand-less model-less wireless bridge of some sort that I was never able to get working before, but I might try playing with it to see if I can trick it into working here.

|>I don't think "client side of the street" is meaningful, here. Think |>of it as connecting one ethernet LAN to another ethernet LAN. If it |>were wired CAT5, either a crossover cable would do it, or a regular |>cable with one end in a "upstream" port (the ones with reversed RX/TX). | | Sorry. I didn't read your detailed description before I posted the | above reply. I was guessing a typical laptop and desktop on one side, | not a server farm. A transparent bridge seems to be appropriate. | Normally, I would recommend a pair of WAP54G wireless bridges, but the | last pair are hanging all the time in bridge mode. I'm still looking | for a suitable replacement.

And one end or the other needs to connect to a DSL modem.

|>Cordless phones on 2.4 GHz work between OK (base in one, carry phone to |>the other). | | Not good enough. My 2.4GHz cordless phone will go about 1000ft (line | of sight). My wireless won't do that without replacement antennas. | The faster you go (data rate), the higher the BER (bit error rate). In | order to keep the BER reasonable, the range gets shortened. | | Do you have line of sight? Can the antennas see each other? Are you | going through any walls, trees, bushes, etc? Windows are usually ok. | Line of sight is the single biggest determining factor of reliability | and performance.

Where I will be placing the router that connects to the DSL mode, its antenna can see the window where the wireless would be in the other house. The other house is lower in elevation but its wireless will be on the

2nd floor. They have tiny 4 watt lights in each window and I can most or all of them. A couple trees are along the path, but not completely blocking things, even with leaves.

|>I can build up to that. In many cases a succinct question works. And |>when it doesn't, more detail can be provided. | | You've done quite well in the other posting. What's missing is the | line of sight issue and performance expectations. How fast is the | cable modem?

I'm not trying to pass cable modem (over there) traffic back to here. I'm getting DSL here soon. But the cable seems to be as fast as I might expect over there.

|>I must assume there are split frequencies involved and some boxes TX on one |>of them and other boxes RX on that one and TX on the other. | | Nope. Everything on one "frequency" or rather channel as 802.11 | spread spectrum occupies about 22Mhz of spectrum.

So for 2 boxes by themselves it would be equivalent to ping-pong.

|>But if it's a genuine single frequency ping pong, then the engineers who |>designed the part on the bits/packets side of things seem to have some |>really twisted idea of how to infrastructure things. | | Yep. I'll forward your criticism. IEEE 802.11 was initially | standardized about 10 years ago. Rub your magic crystal ball and try | to define the exact wireless technology requirements for the next 10 | years. I know people that are doing just that and it's not easy. If | extensibility is all that was left out of 802.11a/b/g, then I think | the committee did an exemplary job. | | In effect, what you're asking for is mesh networking technology, where | the network can be extended by replicating access points. That's | being done in 802.11s, but has quite a way to go. |

formatting link
I'm really asking for RF to be a media not unlike any other ethernet media, besides the added "physical" security needs and management. Beyond that, things like topology should be an administrative issue that can be handled by smarter implementations or smart enough people. Products could come with a default that works best for most and MAYBE support other things. But the _standard_ should not rule out anything.

I can get around the goofy RX/TX pairing design of ethernet twistedpair by simply using a crossover cable. Radio just isn't so easy, so that's where I think the designers need to think it through, better. If it's a case of everything alternates between RX and TX on one frequency (which is good for assymetric loading, as much of web usage and file transfers are to sometimes quite an extreme), then the one frequency design is right. But it really should accept _any_ security authenticated packet that comes in and pass it to the bridging/switching/routing layer which should not have standards imitations on flexibility.

|>BTW, if ethernet twisted pair, e.g. with those RJ-45 jacks, had been designed |>with RX always on one side and TX always on the other, then what we know today |>as a crossover cable would work. | | I worked with a committee to do exactly that but with RS-232 on RJ-45 | and RJ-50 jacks. It fell apart because manufacturers thought they had | some proprietary advantage to creative wiring and didn't want to | change their existing wiring schemes. When EIA-568A and B were | contrived, it was to try and simultanously satisify the telco and | computah mobs. That's not an easy job when Ma Bell is on one side, | and the rest of the planet on the other. That's why there are two | standards where EIA-568B is a clone of the Bell 258A wiring standard. |

formatting link
| Incidentally, when I saw my first modular plug in the early 1960's, I | almost barfed in disgust. What a flimsy piece of cheap junk is all I | can say. Well, Darwinian "Survival of the Cheapest" is apparently | epidemic in the connector business.

Wait until you see them attaching wireless antennas with those :-) Watch grown men cry!

OTOH, I've seen some terribly shoddy installs of coax and crimpable BNC connectors just jammed on (fell apart faster than F connectors).

Done right, coax can get up to 2 GHz on BNC, 4 GHz on TNC, 10 GHz on N, and 24 GHz on SMA. That's assuming good cable, too.

But at least the length of the impedance bumps in RJ-45 is not too long at 100 MHz.

But the whole mess with twisted pair just annoys me. Going cheap is one thing. But then trying to be compatible with the twisted pair cables the telcos already use is another. We ended up having to have crossover cables, anyway. We should have made that THE standard cable which would mean every jack would TX on one side and RX on the other side universally. But I guess someone didn't like simplicity.

Ever seen a GR-874 coaxial connector?

|>But in such a case, we would only need that |>one type of cable and that one type of port and everything would always just |>work. But no, some brainless dweeb decided we have to have 2 different kinds |>of ports (so we can use straight through cables between them) and then have |>yet another kind of cable to deal with the mixups. So yeah, I know how the |>people that design these things can really make a mess of things. Seems that |>wireless is ethernet gone even worse. | | The reasons why such things are done are not always evident. Telco | POTS wiring uses the center pair for L1 and straddles them with | another L2 pair. The remaining two pairs are for data. The goal was | to come up with a combined data/voice connector scheme that would | involve the least amount of wiring changes to existing hardware. Since | there were millions of voice connections, but very few data | connections, voice won. Were this done today, it would be very | different, but if you roll back the clock to the days of the 3B2, the | choices were very different.

If voice would have stayed with 4-5 and 3-6 and left 1-2 and 7-8 for data, AND if the 4 wires for 1-2 and 7-8 were always wired as crossover, AND all ethernet ports would TX on one side and RX on the other, then it might be just too easy.

OTOH, I still think it remains silly to have billions of these cables around with 8 wires in them that are half never used. Copper conspiracy? OK, at least they are starting to use them for gigabit.

I could have had 12 twisted pairs plus a ground pin on a DB-25. With the same crossing-over logic, even that could have been made to work well. Even DB-9 would have worked well that way.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Ok, you lost me. Translate what to the IP layer? What will that do to provide universal interoperability?

RIP on layer 3 is very similar to STP on layer 2. However, that would dramatically increase the leve of complexity of wireless. By leaving everything (except management and configuration) on layer 2, wireless bridges avoid the complications of the IP stack.

Maybe. Dunno for sure. Security in a WDS network is marginal. The first problem is that many routers ran out of sufficient flash ram to impliment both WPA encryption and WDS at the same time. The result is that these are now mutually exclusive and only WEP is supported in WDS mode. This has been fixed on some routers. I don't have the list of winners and losers. I don't consider WEP to be adequate security.

Incidentally, the WAP54G wireless bridge has a similar problem. Bridge mode and WPA are mutually exclusive. Grrr....

Even with WAP and WDS, there's a problem. There's only one WPA key for the entire system. Everything, including the clients, have to know this key. There are some routers that have multiple SSID's and encryption methods/keys, but not in WDS mode.

As I see it (probably wrong), the MAC address in the configuration is used to create the MAC to port mapping table (whatever it's called) and to add an additional layer of security by doing some light weight MAC address wireless filtering. Only those MAC addresses listed in the WDS config page can "join" the WDS network. See:

formatting link
a WRT54G sample configs. Oops. WEP again.

It sure would be nice to have WDS authenticate with 802.1x using a RADIUS server. That would give each connection a temporary and unique encryption key with a secure method of key exchange. Not this week.

However, I agree. If you consider WEP to be adequate security, then it's probably also adequate for WDS.

Nope. 802.11 encapsulates 802.3 ethernet packets. Coax cable (whether DOCSIS RF or 10base2 baseband) is simply layer 1 of the ISO pile. The problem is that wireless tends to have more dropouts, more lost packets, more noise, lousier signal to noise, and other anomalies as compared to wired networks. The effects are the same with both media, but the degree of imparement is much worse with wireless. I can produce some S/N ratio comparisons for wired protocols versus wireless protocols if you really need them. (Say no, I'm busy).

Actually, they get simpler with full duplex. Flow control would actually work. There would be no dead zones in the sliding window. Repeaters could be built that don't cut the thruput in half. Etc.

Wired TCP error control has no mechanism for dealing with repetative errors. The best it can do is a random backoff algorithm to vary the retransmission time to hopefully avoid the repetative interference.

802.11 wireless has multiple mechanisms, including flow control and fragmentation control, to deal with interference issues.

This is not a la carte networking. You don't chose your topology, protocols, and media from a menu as you need them. You get the whole mess packaged as Wi-Fi, blessed by the Wi-Fi Alliance, and certified by the FCC. There are plenty of places where a different topology would be more useful. Too bad they're a minor consideration compared to the huge number of situations where a star will work just fine. If you want creative toplogies, look into Zigbee and mesh networking.

It's a table size limit. Bottom of the line router manufacturers are cheap. For example, Linksys was doing just fine with a WRT54G v3 that had 16MBytes of RAM and 4MBytes of flash. However, they're latest incantation has only half the RAM and flash. Never mind that it barfs when faced with a large number of simultaneous streams, apparently from running out of table space. Unless you can control the memory allocation, you're not going to increase the MAC address count much.

Incidentally, some manufacturers seem to think that the way to stratify the pricing for their bridges is by number of MAC addresses passed. A "workgroup bridge" will typically do 4-16 MAC addresses. The same model as a "transparent bridge" can do perhaps 2048.

Sure. No problem. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. You only need one MAC address passed to do routing. Put a router at both ends and it should work.

(more later.... I gotta get back to work).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:29:48 GMT Jeff Liebermann wrote: | On 19 Jul 2006 19:55:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>| Were to access points to talk to each other, they would by necessity |>| need to bridge more than one MAC address. That means a bridging |>| protocol that tracks the interface location of all the wireless |>| clients. That's missing in the typical access point. | |>Or alternatively, translate to level 3 and re-announce as IP addresses |>in a routing protocol like RIP. But none of this is new; wire switches |>do this all the time. | | Ok, you lost me. Translate what to the IP layer? What will that do | to provide universal interoperability?

Basically, if a router sees another device and discovers its IP address, it automatically adds it to the routing table and announces it in RIP broadcasts, or whatever other routing protocol it's using. If you can't get to it directly at layer 2, at least you can at layer 3 by IP address, which for most needs, is sufficient.

| RIP on layer 3 is very similar to STP on layer 2. However, that would | dramatically increase the leve of complexity of wireless. By leaving | everything (except management and configuration) on layer 2, wireless | bridges avoid the complications of the IP stack.

If they fully implement a mesh, then this works. I managed to get an old 802.11b nameless bridge to work with the WGT624, but only by using WEP for security. The printer won't talk to the bridge but it will talk to the WGT624. So if I unplug the cat5 from the WGT624 and plug in the bridge, I can't reach the printer. In this case the WGT624 is the center of the star topology, but something prevents the it from passing on the MAC addresses (cheap nameless bridge might have a limit of one, for example).

I have not yet tested this, but I presume if I set up an IP layer routing for it, I can still get to the printer. That's assuming the WGT624 will route IP packets between 2 wireless devices (I cannot yet rule out that it has some logic that blocks this since it is designed as an internet/broadband router and might be limiting the routing to just between the broadband side and the ethernet side, and won't send a packet back out the same side it came in).

What I was saying about translating is that it would _also_ go ahead and dynamically add the printer, when it is discovered, to to its routing table and announce it on RIP (which I have enabled, but it's not making any such announcement, probably because I have not added the printer IP to the static route table). If it did announce it, I could turn on a RIP client or do a static route in my Linux host to finish the reach to the printer.

|>Would not the encryption of the packets themselves be sufficient |>security? | | Maybe. Dunno for sure. Security in a WDS network is marginal. The | first problem is that many routers ran out of sufficient flash ram to | impliment both WPA encryption and WDS at the same time. The result is | that these are now mutually exclusive and only WEP is supported in WDS | mode. This has been fixed on some routers. I don't have the list of | winners and losers. I don't consider WEP to be adequate security.

I'm curious just how much flash ram is involved. Embedded programming practices I used to see would put strong emphasis on making small code. Lately, it seems that this kind of programming skill has been lost. Or maybe it's because the programmers are relying too much on general purpose reusable code libraries that are not really designed for this.

| Incidentally, the WAP54G wireless bridge has a similar problem. Bridge | mode and WPA are mutually exclusive. Grrr....

If you can choose between one or the other by control panel, then BOTH implementations must be present. Then the issue is not being able to RUN at the same time, which instead of being a flash problem is more of a dynamic ram buffer space problem.

| Even with WAP and WDS, there's a problem. There's only one WPA key | for the entire system. Everything, including the clients, have to | know this key. There are some routers that have multiple SSID's and | encryption methods/keys, but not in WDS mode.

It sure would be nice to be able to configure in more than one "wireless zone" (no idea what the correct term would be for the subset of segment that would be identified by it's own SSID).

| As I see it (probably wrong), the MAC address in the configuration is | used to create the MAC to port mapping table (whatever it's called) | and to add an additional layer of security by doing some light weight | MAC address wireless filtering. Only those MAC addresses listed in | the WDS config page can "join" the WDS network. See: |

formatting link
| for a WRT54G sample configs. Oops. WEP again.

For incoming frames, a device could choose to accept a frame as being addressed to it based on the destination MAC being in it's table of "one or MACs I pretend to be" without regard to the port. And it could fake the MAC for output frames. So I'm not sure if any MAC to port mapping is even needed.

If there's no need to literally communicate with the device, it has no need of a MAC (but, of course, we want to have an administrative control panel, so it and an IP address are needed at minimum for that). I can see how a wireless bridge could be made where the same MAC is used for all ethernet ports and is the same as used over wireless.

|>Seems to me that once you get RF into a bit stream/packet |>then you want to be sure it is authorized (security) before doing |>any more with it (valid SSID, phrase, key, etc). | | It sure would be nice to have WDS authenticate with 802.1x using a | RADIUS server. That would give each connection a temporary and unique | encryption key with a secure method of key exchange. Not this week. | | However, I agree. If you consider WEP to be adequate security, then | it's probably also adequate for WDS.

I'd feel better with WPA. But road hackers are probably unlikely to be trying the remote rural road I live on.

|>For ethernet over wireless it's not much different than ethernet over |>a coaxial cable, besides the greater noise, more lossage, and hackers |>tapping in. | | Nope. 802.11 encapsulates 802.3 ethernet packets. Coax cable | (whether DOCSIS RF or 10base2 baseband) is simply layer 1 of the ISO | pile. The problem is that wireless tends to have more dropouts, more | lost packets, more noise, lousier signal to noise, and other anomalies | as compared to wired networks. The effects are the same with both | media, but the degree of imparement is much worse with wireless. I | can produce some S/N ratio comparisons for wired protocols versus | wireless protocols if you really need them. (Say no, I'm busy).

I believe you. Wireless certainly needs more support than a plain wired ethernet bus. But in a layered sense, it's still down at that layer. Collision detection, for example, isn't as simple because two far end TXers might not hear either other, which means they can send at the same time, and the AP in the middle just gets junk. An added means to control that is a plus (and I have no idea if that is in the specs or not).

But as far as building a topology beyond where wireless can hear, that should be at the next layer or two upwards. And if all you do is IP, layer 3 (e.g. doing IP routing to get there) is adequate. But it's not really that hard to do layer 2 mesh. OTOH, I have no idea just how small these things are in terms of RAM.

|>Operationally, it seems like it should be the same. But |>if there are separate RX and TX frequencies, a few things could get |>more complicated. | | Actually, they get simpler with full duplex. Flow control would | actually work. There would be no dead zones in the sliding window. | Repeaters could be built that don't cut the thruput in half. Etc.

There would still need to be a RX on the TX freq just to avoid collisions. And 2 devices far enough they cannot hear each other will still end up butting heads anyway, as far as other RXers see it. So as I see it, one common frequency should be fine. But it would be nice to have a device that could talk 2 frequencies at once (even if it can't RX on one and TX on the other at the same time), just to be able to split things up so part of youe network is on one frequency and part on another, and this device in the middle (the flower topology). If all the meshing is done purely at layer 2 or above, then this could at least be done with 2 wireless devices attached back to back on a cat5.

|>That's what we have ethernet, IP, TCP, etc, for. Of course if two |>strange machines want to talk to each other in Gibberish 2.0 then |>why not. | | Wired TCP error control has no mechanism for dealing with repetative | errors. The best it can do is a random backoff algorithm to vary the | retransmission time to hopefully avoid the repetative interference. | 802.11 wireless has multiple mechanisms, including flow control and | fragmentation control, to deal with interference issues.

But ultimately it still needs to do this at layer 1, even if it peeks into upper layers. E.g. once a frame has arrived, is error free, is authenticated, it is handed to layer 2 and that layer can do a mesh if the network admin decided it should (getting it implemented in 64k of machine code might be another issue).

|>| No. Everything in 802.11 wireless is half duplex. A box can transmit |>| or receive, one at a time. In a WDS systems, all radios are on the |>| same channel. |>

|>Then I can't see the reason for separate client mode at the media layer |>other than to force the star topology. IMHO, star topology should not |>be used in many cases. | | This is not a la carte networking. You don't chose your topology, | protocols, and media from a menu as you need them. You get the whole | mess packaged as Wi-Fi, blessed by the Wi-Fi Alliance, and certified | by the FCC. There are plenty of places where a different topology | would be more useful. Too bad they're a minor consideration compared | to the huge number of situations where a star will work just fine. If | you want creative toplogies, look into Zigbee and mesh networking.

Why not? I can see there being a default for what works best for most. But why limit things?

The star topology actually uses twice the air time for communications between 2 wireless devices. Getting them to go direct saves bandwidth.

|>A limit on MAC addresses is something I can get around. | | It's a table size limit. Bottom of the line router manufacturers are | cheap. For example, Linksys was doing just fine with a WRT54G v3 that | had 16MBytes of RAM and 4MBytes of flash. However, they're latest | incantation has only half the RAM and flash. Never mind that it barfs | when faced with a large number of simultaneous streams, apparently | from running out of table space. Unless you can control the memory | allocation, you're not going to increase the MAC address count much.

Hmmm. That's a lot _more_ RAM and flash than I thought. Now I suspect poor programming. That's plenty of space to do so nice OSPF routing. Even if 16k is set aside for a MAC table, it's still probably no more than about 128 bytes per entry (48 for the MAC, the rest for destinations and other states) which gives 128 MAC entries, a usable number.

I now see how it is some people are able to run Linux in some of these. I first ran Linux in the 0.99 days on a PC with 4MB of RAM (a load image of way less than 1MB).

| Incidentally, some manufacturers seem to think that the way to | stratify the pricing for their bridges is by number of MAC addresses | passed. A "workgroup bridge" will typically do 4-16 MAC addresses. | The same model as a "transparent bridge" can do perhaps 2048.

Obviously not an engineering limitation.

|>I'll just split |>up in subnets and route from one of the Linux boxes. | | Sure. No problem. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. You only need | one MAC address passed to do routing. Put a router at both ends and | it should work.

Right. But I'll now need to go structure my IP addresses into subnets instead of the way I was doing before, which was taking the lower 16 bits of the MAC address and using 169.254 as the prefix (e.g. my printer is 169.254.29.222). I'll probably shift over to the 172.16.0.0/12 space for this.

Any idea when we'll see IPv6 in these things? Soon the US government won't buy them without it. I guess they are gonna need 4x the RAM and

4x the flash to do that.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Why not get a decent lighting arrester for the phone line? Or a short piece of fiber to connect your DSL to the router that feeds all your computers? [Make sure you have good lighting arresters on your power lines too, as a powerful enough strike will jump from the phone line to the power (thru the DSL Modem).

Make it a wireless router, and your printer will be on your LAN.

You sit your child down and explain "trust but verify" to them, disallow 'private' computer use (bedrooms, out of sight of family), and stop by every so often to see what they are doing.

Turning it into a technological arms race isn't going to get you where you want to be.

How about setting up a VPN across the internet between your DSL and his Cable modem?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

(continuing from where I left off...)

formatting link
That's a print server. Under the plastic box is a wireless client and either an LPR/LPD print server, or more commonly a NETBIOS based Windoze printer. The print server connects via 802.11 to the wireless access point. The catch is that the other box (i.e. WGR614) has to be either an access point or wireless router running in infrastructure mode, or WDS mode. It won't work if the other box is running in wireless bridge mode because wireless bridges only talk to other wireless bridges.

Fine. That means you need "something" at each end running in infrastructure mode (AP or wireless router).

It cannot do that (for the 3rd time). That's how we started this discussion. You bought two wireless routers that will NOT talk to each other. There are ways you can do this (i.e. WDS). A transparent bridge will only talk to another transparent bridge unless it has some goofy protocol that allows it to also service clients. I've seen these appear ocassionally, but have no experience with them. A client bridge will talk to an access point or wireless router, but you have to be careful with how many MAC addresses are passed.

I think the problem may be terminology. I once tried to organize the chronic misuse of the term "bridge" at:

formatting link
's not perfect and needs a bit of work, but it might help untangle the buzzwords.

As for RIPv2, it's only useful if you have more than one path to the interknot. It's intended mostly to change the routing on the fly between two routers when one of the links drops. Check if the device does static routes, which I think might be more useful.

IFF cannot be told to route if the entire wireless network is based on bridging. Assigning a static route through the maze of IP's does no good if the underlying destination MAC addresses cannot be seen.

That's sorta assumed here. Suggestion: Try to assemble a topological map of the system using seperate boxes for seperate functions. For example, a wireless router would be 3 seperate boxes, an ethernet router, an ethernet switch, and a wireless access point. They can be recombined into a single unit later. That might clean things up a bit.

Perfect. If you the antennas can see each other, you have line of sight. Make sure there's no window screens or aluminized mylar on the windows.

At the distances you're working with, the trees should not be a huge problem. If they grow into a problem, external directional gain antennas will probably be needed. However, if you do add a directional antenna, you will create a new problem. With the stock omni antennas, you'll have coverage of both the inside of the house and across the road. However, if you redirect the bulk of the RF across the road, there's not much left to cover the inside of the house. You may need to do something weird with the antennas or possibly use seperate radios for the inside coverage and the outside link across the road.

Oh, that wasn't obvious. With two connections to the internet, you'll probably need to nail the default route to the router on each side of the road. That should keep the traffic seperated. If one goes down, just point the default route to the router on the other side of the road, and you're back on.

The reason I asked about speed was to get a feel for what manner of performance you were expecting from the wireless.

Yep. That's the way it works. Some of the really high speed wireless links (bridges) offer full duplex on the ethernet ports. However, the radio is not full duplex. It just runs twice as fast as the ethernet port with an intelligent direction switching scheme. At the ethernet port, it just looks like full duplex.

There are also wireless bridges that are genuinely full duplex. For example, Proxim Lynx radios use half the 2.4Ghz band in one direction, and the other half the band in the other. On the back of the radios is a big cavity duplexer to keep the frequencies seperate. You don't wanna know the price.

See:

formatting link
some clues on the fancier radios.

You're asking for a fundamental change in topology. That's being addressed for *NEW* wireless technologies. Please don't expect the existing technology to change this much. Attempts to graft mesh technology on top of 802.11 have been generally successful, but not as effective as starting over with a new protocol (e.g. WiMax).

Actually, the trend is for the topology to be undefined. Modern mesh systems are advertised as "self configuring", "self provisioning", and "self healing". I try not to act too disgusted when I read these claims. I like the concept of having the network organize itself but am not very optimistic as to whether it's any better than having it pre-defined.

Ok, time for rant. The 802.11 standard does nothing of the sort. There's not one mention of any Layer 3 technology in 802.11. You can do anything you want on Layer 3 and you will not be violating anything in 802.11 (or FCC Part 15). Now, if you want to do "anything" on layer 2, you'll need to re-write the standard. Note that even in the current revisions of 802.11a/b/g, there is very little mention of repeaters, zero mention of print servers, mesh networks, wireless video, etc. At this time, you literally can do anything you want, and that's the problem. Many companies do exactly that and screw up. For example, the industry still can't seem to translate an ASCII WEP key into a Hex WEP key. There's nothing in 802.11 so everyone does it their own way with predictable incompatibilities.

Later standards efforts were a bit smarter about implimentations. An extreme example is Bluetooth. They define each application as a profile. Wanna do multimedia stereo over Bluetooth? Fine... follow the exact proceedure in the profile. It's about as micro managed as possible and vendors still manage to find ways to create incompatibilities. The right answer is somewhere between the fairly loose 802.11 and the draconian Bluetooth. Yes, it would have been nice to be able to do mesh, self configuring, fast AP switching, multiiple SSID's, fast roaming, etc, but nobody thought of that in

As I suggested previously, please try and define the requirements for wireless in the year 2015 based on what we know today. That's what you're asking from the original IEEE 802.11 committee.

If you follow the wiring diagrams for most crossover cables, it only crosses over the two data pairs. You need all 4 pairs crossed to do gigabit ethernet.

At the time (about 1995) most datacomm standards were symmetrical (dialup, ISDN, DS0, T1, etc). The first asymmetrical datacomm was DSL which first appeared in roughly 1997. However, most wireless implimentations are quite intelligent about when to turn around the RF direction with lots of buffering, sliding windows, and adjustable packet sizes. There was a problem initially where different protocols (IP, Netbeui, IPX/SPX) would have different thruputs, but that was apparently solved (somehow).

Security and consumer wireless has had a long history or problems. All

802.11 wireless works on the bridging/switching layer so you are limited to implimenting your creative network on the routing layer. You can authorize and authenticate on any layer you find useful including the applications layer. However, it's considered good form to authenticate at the lowest possible layer to prevent spoofing attacks.

Ditto. I deal with LOTS of RF connectos. BNC's are NOT easy connectors to attach. I won't even look at connectors that are not crimped. For F connectors, I use the piston insertion type, not the barrel crimp. Lots of ways to turn a good connector into junk.

I think you're a bit optimistic for the BNC and TNC, but that's about right.

You should see some of the weird RJ45 connectors proposed for CAT7. I have some TDR photos (somewhere) of common CAT5 patch cables. It's a miracle that they work at all.

If you've ever watched a standards committee in action, you'll soon find that nobody really cares about the technical issues. Those are usually obvious and based on existing product tests. For example, the IETF won't even accept an RFC proposal unless there are already two independent existing implimentations. Anyway, the standards emphasis is on IP (intellectual property), patents, and existing product protection. Everyone want the standard to follow their product because changing anything in production will cost too much money. Much of the 802.11 effort went the same way. Buried in the 802.11 spec is Texas Instruments PBCC-22 22Mbits/sec modulation. It would never have been in there had TI not been so adamant and effectively blocked the vote unless it was included. EIA-568 was worse in some respected because huge companies were playing the same games.

It was that way until someone needed to connect to hubs or switches together. The crossover standard wiring was NOT in the spec because nobody knew if the extra two wires also needed to be crossed. The POTS voice people said no. The datacomm people said yes. The committee said lets go on to something else.

Sure. I have some old General Radio equipment with them. Big, ugly, sex-less, expensive, and universal. Want to see two of them on your wireless access point?

Yep. I have a really bad attitude about non-differential data links. Invariably, the common ground causes problems with ground loops, noise, noise margin, ground bounce, signal isolation, and electrical safety. Differential rules.

Ooops.... late again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |>In my house (house one) I have a rack of computers in which it is not an |>option to use a wireless PC card. | |>There will also be a DSL connection. It is not yet wired up, but it will |>NOT go directly to the computer room. The intention is for DSL to go to |>a wireless device such that if there is a lightning strike on the phone |>line, only the wireless device connected to the DSL would be lost. | | Why not get a decent lighting arrester for the phone line? Or a short | piece of fiber to connect your DSL to the router that feeds all your | computers? [Make sure you have good lighting arresters on your power | lines too, as a powerful enough strike will jump from the phone line | to the power (thru the DSL Modem).

If you can find a lightning arrestor that gurantees protections from a full direct stroke, for under $10,000, please let me know. What is on the market out there would vaporize in some strokes I have seen (like one that melted 20% of a kitchen stove).

I did, in fact, look for a way to connect fiber. I could not find a way less than $500. I opted for the wireless because it was lower in cost (considering I need to have much of what the wireless gives me anyway).

My plans for lightning isolation are non-metallic network connectivity and UPS/inverter with 8 hours battery run time that can be run while intentionally unplugged from mains. I'm working on the networking side of things first. The power part will come later.

|>There is also a printer, which cannot fit in or near the computer room. |>It is a wireless printer, model HP 6980. | | Make it a wireless router, and your printer will be on your LAN.

What do you mean by "make it a wireless router"? The printer has the wireless radio built in (in fact not even an antenna port). The only option I could see for it was making it do an ad-hoc mode network. That might well be a way to get it to talk to this cheap nameless bridge I have that can only do 802.11b+WEP128. I doubt I need the speed for the printer so that as a side solution is viable.

|>he needs to have some parental control |>on the access. | | You sit your child down and explain "trust but verify" to them, | disallow 'private' computer use (bedrooms, out of sight of family), | and stop by every so often to see what they are doing.

Not my children. And all 5 of them know how to get online and find web sites ... even the 3 year old (and that is what scares me ... she knows more about hooking the computer up than either of her parents). She's already learned to read being motivated to play on the computer. These kids are going to need their own computers given the way they fight over the one they have. The 15 y/o now has 2 computers of his own (a hand-me-down and a built-from-spare-parts) but those are not yet connected, but I know he's working on trying to.

| Turning it into a technological arms race isn't going to get you where | you want to be.

If the wireless connectivity actually works between houses, what I was going to propose to my brother is running the kids' computers through my proxy firewall.

|>Both the Window XP machine, and his wife's laptop, need to access internet |>(through their cable connection) and access my rack of computers. | |>The houses are across the street from each other, about 55 feet. I don't |>need full capacity between the houses, but I do plan to put a backup file |>server over in my brother's house in the future, and sync the two together |>over the wireless (not going through DSL or cable). | | How about setting up a VPN across the internet between your DSL and | his Cable modem?

The desired bandwidth would kill those accounts in a matter of days. I'd LOVE to lay a gigabit fiber between the houses. But that would cost a few hundred or more in time and Ditchwitch rental. Going under the road would be the hard part. If the wireless works, it would save a lot of hassle. What stinks is that it doesn't, NOT because of any RF issues, but because of stupidity in the way things are partitioned into different classes of devices that cannot talk to other instances of themselves.

What would be nice is a genuine point to point device with a high gain very directional antenna on 2.4 GHz, 3.7 GHz, 5.8 GHz, or 300 THz.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:39:21 -0700 Jeff Liebermann wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net hath wroth: | | (continuing from where I left off...) | |>It looks like the WGPS606 might actually do this. It shows in one of |>the diagrams as communicating with a WGR614 router. |>

formatting link
| |
formatting link
| | That's a print server. Under the plastic box is a wireless client and | either an LPR/LPD print server, or more commonly a NETBIOS based | Windoze printer. The print server connects via 802.11 to the wireless | access point. The catch is that the other box (i.e. WGR614) has to be | either an access point or wireless router running in infrastructure | mode, or WDS mode. It won't work if the other box is running in | wireless bridge mode because wireless bridges only talk to other | wireless bridges.

But the WGT624's I have now apparently are running in access point mode.

|>The wireless printer does. I think that will be a client need. Also, |>my sister-in-law might need net access here when she brings her laptop |>over (unless we can be sure it will communicate on its own back to her |>house). | | Fine. That means you need "something" at each end running in | infrastructure mode (AP or wireless router).

The WGPS606 on one end, WGT624 on the other.

|>If the transparent bridge will talk wirelessly to the router (WGT624) |>then the router serving as the internet gateway can serve clients, IFF |>it can be told to _route_ (it has RIPv2 so there is hope) over to my |>LAN of computers. | | It cannot do that (for the 3rd time). That's how we started this | discussion. You bought two wireless routers that will NOT talk to | each other. There are ways you can do this (i.e. WDS). A transparent | bridge will only talk to another transparent bridge unless it has some | goofy protocol that allows it to also service clients. I've seen | these appear ocassionally, but have no experience with them. A client | bridge will talk to an access point or wireless router, but you have | to be careful with how many MAC addresses are passed.

I'm not restricted to the notion of having both ends be identical. Yes, I originally thought that would work. I didn't know they made self-incompatible devices.

| I think the problem may be terminology. I once tried to organize the | chronic misuse of the term "bridge" at: |

formatting link
| It's not perfect and needs a bit of work, but it might help untangle | the buzzwords.

Aside from things like the number of MAC addresses (or IP route table entries) a device could be programmed to hold, what specifically is it that limits a wireless device from talking to ANY other wireless device that properly authenticates with a common frequency, modulation speed, SSID, and shared key?

| As for RIPv2, it's only useful if you have more than one path to the | interknot. It's intended mostly to change the routing on the fly | between two routers when one of the links drops. Check if the device | does static routes, which I think might be more useful.

It can be a workaround for reachability if the midpoint can do the routing. Or static route table entries could do it.

| IFF cannot be told to route if the entire wireless network is based on | bridging. Assigning a static route through the maze of IP's does no | good if the underlying destination MAC addresses cannot be seen.

If something that can see both can also do routing, it's an indirect path there.

|>And one end or the other needs to connect to a DSL modem. | | That's sorta assumed here. Suggestion: Try to assemble a topological | map of the system using seperate boxes for seperate functions. For | example, a wireless router would be 3 seperate boxes, an ethernet | router, an ethernet switch, and a wireless access point. They can be | recombined into a single unit later. That might clean things up a | bit.

I'll work on that.

|>Where I will be placing the router that connects to the DSL mode, its |>antenna can see the window where the wireless would be in the other house. | | Perfect. If you the antennas can see each other, you have line of | sight. Make sure there's no window screens or aluminized mylar on the | windows.

Of course.

|>The other house is lower in elevation but its wireless will be on the |>2nd floor. They have tiny 4 watt lights in each window and I can most |>or all of them. A couple trees are along the path, but not completely |>blocking things, even with leaves. | | At the distances you're working with, the trees should not be a huge | problem. If they grow into a problem, external directional gain | antennas will probably be needed. However, if you do add a | directional antenna, you will create a new problem. With the stock | omni antennas, you'll have coverage of both the inside of the house | and across the road. However, if you redirect the bulk of the RF | across the road, there's not much left to cover the inside of the | house. You may need to do something weird with the antennas or | possibly use seperate radios for the inside coverage and the outside | link across the road.

I understand the RF limitations. The first phase of this was to test just how well it would work with the basic by having one unit in a window at one house, and the other in a window at the other house.

|>I'm not trying to pass cable modem (over there) traffic back to here. |>I'm getting DSL here soon. But the cable seems to be as fast as I |>might expect over there. | | Oh, that wasn't obvious. With two connections to the internet, you'll | probably need to nail the default route to the router on each side of | the road. That should keep the traffic seperated. If one goes down, | just point the default route to the router on the other side of the | road, and you're back on.

Exactly.

Actually, the plan involved an HTTP proxy server on this end. The kids in the other house would figure out the default route change.

| The reason I asked about speed was to get a feel for what manner of | performance you were expecting from the wireless.

I'll use all I can get. If I layed in gigabit fiber, I could eventually make full use of it.

|>I'm really asking for RF to be a media not unlike any other ethernet |>media, besides the added "physical" security needs and management. | | You're asking for a fundamental change in topology. That's being | addressed for *NEW* wireless technologies. Please don't expect the | existing technology to change this much. Attempts to graft mesh | technology on top of 802.11 have been generally successful, but not as | effective as starting over with a new protocol (e.g. WiMax).

My whole point is that topology is more about the logic inside the devices and how they handle things like mesh vs. star, and route the frames and packets around based on MAC or IP.

When one radio is transmitting a frame, all the other radios that can "see it" are receiving that frame. Then they have to decide what to do with it. If it has uncorrectable errors, throw it away. If it fails to authenticate, throw it away. But at this point you have something that can be used. Now where it goes should be a matter of MAC table or interface, or even layer 3 switching by skipping the MAC and look at the IP address alone. Obviously you don't want to send every packet around on every wired LAN that has a radio on it. But all of this is a part of existing networking topologies that apply to wireless or wired networks. The radio channel is just a bus (that has limitations you might need to work around, such as far end nodes that cannot see each other directly).

|>Beyond that, things like topology should be an administrative issue |>that can be handled by smarter implementations or smart enough people. | | Actually, the trend is for the topology to be undefined. Modern mesh | systems are advertised as "self configuring", "self provisioning", and | "self healing". I try not to act too disgusted when I read these | claims. I like the concept of having the network organize itself but | am not very optimistic as to whether it's any better than having it | pre-defined.

I think it can be helpful to have self-organizing as a default mode, but certainly being a control freak type of personality that has done networking in the wired world for 20 years, I would certainly like to be able to specify exactly what it does. Even in many of my networks where I used OSPF routing, I still set up many alternate IP addresses that I left out of OSPF and put static routes in so if OSPF goofed up somewhere I could still reach the critical nodes to manually reboot or maybe fix a configuration error. Usually OSPF worked fantastic. But there were a few times when it was the target of 4 letter words, especially when dialing in from home and no way to even reach the router that was confused.

|>Products could come with a default that works best for most and MAYBE |>support other things. But the _standard_ should not rule out anything. | | Ok, time for rant. The 802.11 standard does nothing of the sort. | There's not one mention of any Layer 3 technology in 802.11. You can | do anything you want on Layer 3 and you will not be violating anything | in 802.11 (or FCC Part 15). Now, if you want to do "anything" on | layer 2, you'll need to re-write the standard. Note that even in the | current revisions of 802.11a/b/g, there is very little mention of | repeaters, zero mention of print servers, mesh networks, wireless | video, etc. At this time, you literally can do anything you want, and | that's the problem. Many companies do exactly that and screw up. For | example, the industry still can't seem to translate an ASCII WEP key | into a Hex WEP key. There's nothing in 802.11 so everyone does it | their own way with predictable incompatibilities.

Things like WEP keys are what I would expect to be in a wireless standard. Things like layer 2 topology I would expect to NOT be. But there could be advisory information going between layer 1 and layer 2 (such as the signal strength of that frame).

Suppose I have a bus ethernet network (e.g. either of the old coax ethernet technologies). I should be able to replace each ethernet tap with a wireless radio node and get exactly the same topology. That would mean each node can send and receive directly from any other without having to relay/repeat/bounce off of a central node (which would double the air time used). I believe using bridge mode wireless devices would do that.

The issue happens with routers. I could put a router on that coax bus and through that interface of the router, talk directly with any node on that bus, even if that node was another router. A wireless router SHOULD be able to do the same thing. If it sends out an ARP request on the bus onr the wireless channel, the other router should be able to take that ARP request and check its interfaces (and if so configured, even its routing table) to see if there is a match. And if there is, it would respond back to the MAC address of the first router, which can now see which MAC address has that IP and build its ARP table.

If the equipment designers decided not to put that capability in, that's one thing. But the standard should not have any limitation that prevents that from working.

| Later standards efforts were a bit smarter about implimentations. An | extreme example is Bluetooth. They define each application as a | profile. Wanna do multimedia stereo over Bluetooth? Fine... follow | the exact proceedure in the profile. It's about as micro managed as | possible and vendors still manage to find ways to create | incompatibilities. The right answer is somewhere between the fairly | loose 802.11 and the draconian Bluetooth. Yes, it would have been | nice to be able to do mesh, self configuring, fast AP switching, | multiiple SSID's, fast roaming, etc, but nobody thought of that in | 1996.

The _more_ it is micro managed, the _more_ exposure there is to let vendors screw it up. And the harder it is for standards compliance certification to test it.

| As I suggested previously, please try and define the requirements for | wireless in the year 2015 based on what we know today. That's what | you're asking from the original IEEE 802.11 committee.

I think the problem is that wireless may be trying to travel up the network layer stack when it should not. That's like asking ethernet to start defining the applications like multimedia stereo. Those things should be left up to upper layer standards to do and not be a part of standards that define how bits turn into radio waves, or how a physically insecure "bus" can be secured, etc.

|>I can get around the goofy RX/TX pairing design of ethernet twistedpair |>by simply using a crossover cable. | | If you follow the wiring diagrams for most crossover cables, it only | crosses over the two data pairs. You need all 4 pairs crossed to do | gigabit ethernet.

Doable.

But I would have NOT done that 3-6 around 4-5 straddling that telcos do. Of all the things I hated most about going to twisted pair was that stupid wiring that came from the telco world. Now, they actually did it right FOR THEIR PURPOSES, which was to have a _single_ pair (which is working in both directions) mate with the _same_ pair, while allowing a

2nd pair to work similarly. But for split RX/TX that data was using, that was just wrong. And it doesn't matter if it is voice or data. If the data had been a ping-pong on a _single_ twisted pair, doing it as the telcos did would have been right.

What we ended up with was a hybrid cable. The 4 wires in the middle would work fine as 2 separate single bi-direction paths. Then the 4 wires on the outside were made separate (e.g. 1-2 and 7-8).

But one day, someone was on drugs and decided to use 1-2 and 3-6 for data.

The way it SHOULD have been done was to have every port TX on 1-2 and RX on 7-8 for the full duplex stuff. Then the cables would ALL be wired such that 1-2 on one end went to 7-8 on the other end and visa versa. Then it would b, with respect to 1-2 and 7-8, equivalent to what we today call a crossover cable. But all device ports would be alike and everything could talk to everything over a single common cable type. Do the same with 3-4 and 5-6 and you'd have 2 such paths.

In the end, what will work is doing ping-pong over 4 parallel data paths paired 1-2, 3-6, 4-5, and 7-8. But that's makes a more expensive port.

The whole point I'm ranting about is to keep things flexible. They did somewhat badly with twisted pair eithernet. We survived because there was a workaround (crossover cables and upstream ports). Wireless seems to have done worse (but I'm not going to go buy 802.11 docs just to see every detail they did wrong since I can't go back and fix it for them).

If _every_ wireless bridge is supposed to be able to talk to _every_ wireless bridge, then why not put the router logic interface inside a bridge device, as one single unit? The "router" "box" would have its own internal interface to the bridged/switched segment.

|>But it really should accept _any_ security authenticated |>packet that comes in and pass it to the bridging/switching/routing layer |>which should not have standards imitations on flexibility. | | Security and consumer wireless has had a long history or problems. All | 802.11 wireless works on the bridging/switching layer so you are | limited to implimenting your creative network on the routing layer. | You can authorize and authenticate on any layer you find useful | including the applications layer. However, it's considered good form | to authenticate at the lowest possible layer to prevent spoofing | attacks.

But I would not use existance of authenticating at lowest layers as an excuse to not authenticate at higher layers as well.

|>OTOH, I've seen some terribly shoddy instls of coax and crimpable BNC |>connectors just jammed on (fell apart faster than F connectors). | | Ditto. I deal with LOTS of RF connectos. BNC's are NOT easy | connectors to attach. I won't even look at connectors that are not | crimped. For F connectors, I use the piston insertion type, not the | barrel crimp. Lots of ways to turn a good connector into junk.

When I've made BNCs for radio work, they get well constructed. But it also takes a lot of time. Businesses don't seem to like that. Back when I was doing coax networks, buying cable with connectors already attached was so much simpler, faster, and in the long run cheaper. Same even for CAT5, though finding the lengths you need in crossover tends to be a problem.

|>Done right, coax can get up to 2 GHz on BNC, 4 GHz on TNC, 10 GHz on N, |>and 24 GHz on SMA. That's assuming good cable, too. | | I think you're a bit optimistic for the BNC and TNC, but that's about | right.

They do work to that level and a bit beyond if manufacturered well. Cheap import connectors with poor dimensional tolerance that don't fit real tight are a different matter.

|>But at least the length of the impedance bumps in RJ-45 is not too long |>at 100 MHz. | | You should see some of the weird RJ45 connectors proposed for CAT7. I | have some TDR photos (somewhere) of common CAT5 patch cables. It's a | miracle that they work at all.

I say go with a pair of SMA, SMB, or SMC microwave connectors.

|>But the whole mess with twisted pair just annoys me. Going cheap is |>one thing. But then trying to be compatible with the twisted pair cables |>the telcos already use is another. | | If you've ever watched a standards committee in action, you'll soon | find that nobody really cares about the technical issues. Those are | usually obvious and based on existing product tests. For example, the | IETF won't even accept an RFC proposal unless there are already two | independent existing implimentations. Anyway, the standards emphasis | is on IP (intellectual property), patents, and existing product | protection. Everyone want the standard to follow their product | because changing anything in production will cost too much money. Much | of the 802.11 effort went the same way. Buried in the 802.11 spec is | Texas Instruments PBCC-22 22Mbits/sec modulation. It would never have | been in there had TI not been so adamant and effectively blocked the | vote unless it was included. EIA-568 was worse in some respected | because huge companies were playing the same games.

This is why standards committees should NEVER allow commercial representation.

I once designed my own modulation scheme. It was similar to QAM but it used a hexagonal lattice instead of quadrature. Then the points were chosen within a circle, not a square. The number of points was not a power of two, but that was used to an advantage to define an "out of band" method of idling and syncing. But I could never make an implementation in a chip. I had read somewhere something similar was tried once, but that the hexagonal lattice was too complicated for the engineers. I thought it was the simplest part. I did this back in the early 1980's with digital TV in mind. Maybe today it could be practical. But patent holders of other technologies would not let it get standardized.

|>We ended up having to have crossover |>cables, anyway. We should have made that THE standard cable which would |>mean every jack would TX on one side and RX on the other side universally. |>But I guess someone didn't like simplicity. | | It was that way until someone needed to connect to hubs or switches | together. The crossover standard wiring was NOT in the spec because | nobody knew if the extra two wires also needed to be crossed. The | POTS voice people said no. The datacomm people said yes. The | committee said lets go on to something else.

If you were going to have bi-directional on one pair, don't cross. That's what POTS did. But if you were going to do split direction over two pairs, such as T1, then you needed to cross. When looking at it as a T1 issue, it wouldn't be obvious because T1 wasn't the kind of thing you'd be wiring a zillion devices in a computer room with. But ethernet was.

And the fact that ethernet was using 3-6 really threw a wrench into the works because ethernet needed crossing side to side but POTS did not. Had ethernet been on 1-2 and 7-8 it would have been a bit simpler. But I'd rather have had separate cables for POTS from data.

|>Ever seen a GR-874 coaxial connector? | | Sure. I have some old General Radio equipment with them. Big, ugly, | sex-less, expensive, and universal. Want to see two of them on your | wireless access point?

There was an attempt to make a tiny version of them. If it could have been done somewhere between TNC and SMA size, it would have its uses. But there are many cases where I'd rather screw something on or at least nut-lock it on (e.g. BNC). I once tried to work out a nut-lock version of GR-874. That was going to be a manufacturing problem, though.

|>I could have had 12 twisted pairs plus a ground pin on a DB-25. With the |>same crossing-over logic, even that could have been made to work well. |>Even DB-9 would have worked well that way. | | Yep. I have a really bad attitude about non-differential data links. | Invariably, the common ground causes problems with ground loops, | noise, noise margin, ground bounce, signal isolation, and electrical | safety. Differential rules.

Differential even rules for power, too. See article 647 of the National Electrical Code. 120 volts achieved by +60 and -60 volts relative to ground (of course the + and - reversing 60 times a second). Much less ground loop noise for audio equipment, and such. Fortunately a lot of stuff actually works at 240 volts, so where "balanced power" is needed, it can often be had cheaper with a 240 volt circuit wired USA style (the Europeans usually have 230 volts line-to-ground, so they can't get this).

| Ooops.... late again.

That seems to happen a lot.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.