Two Bridged WAP54G Access Points...

Upon having issues with my Two WAP54G (Which are setup as bridges for each other). I wanted to readup more on this. And found I would post my own topic.

My WAP54G Access Point History... I have successfully configured both AP's to act as a bridge. And Successfully tested them. This is how I have it setup.

AP01 - Bridged AP going to Switch. This one Gives network and Internet access to AP02.

AP02 - Bridged for a VoIP Phone. A VoIP phone is connected to this.

So from the Phone it goes like this:

VoIP --- AP02 ~ ~ ~ AP01 --- Switch --> Network.

I have tested this many of times. My First problem arose when trying to have AP01 goes through a Dark Tinted Window. I soon learned that Tinted Windows do not like 802.11. So I moved AP01 outside. I had a connection, weak as it was it would drop the signal and regain it again, thus dropping any calls being made on the phone. I found the culperit was the electrical boxes next to the AP02. So naturally I moved it away from the electrical. And now, It still drops the connection and I can not figure out why. I believe it is still close enough to each other, for one it is a straight shot with no big obstructions. There is a small obstruction, which is only a few wood frames but this should not cause the loss of conenctivity.

This is where Im stuck. And can not find a solution to this issue. Any one help?

Reply to
hosehead78
Loading thread data ...

Dark tinted windows are aluminized mylar. The aluminum acts as a great RF shield. Very little RF of any frequency (including cellular) will go through that.

Plastic or metal electrical boxes? Big boxes or small boxes. More than one box? Any big block of metal will cause problems. However, there shouldn't be anything radiating from any electrical box that would affect connectivity or signal strength.

That's a good indication that the electrical box was not at fault.

Numbers please, not descriptions. How far away in feet (or meters)? How big an obstruction? Have you checked the Fresnel zone clearances? What type of antennas?

Dry wood does not normally cause a problem with 2.4Ghz. Wet wood is another story. It's quite a good shield.

Not really. I work with numbers and you've supplied none. Check your signal strength and your signal to noise ratio. If you don't have enough signal, it's because you're either too far away, too many obstructions, or insufficient antenna gain. If possible, add some external directional antennas which always improve the situation. If you're using the stock antennas, start with these reflectors.

formatting link
If the noise level is too high, then it's possible you're hearing some interference. Look around with Netstumbler or Kismet for other wireless systems that might be causing inteference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.