Tweaking performance

I've got Quest DSL and a Quest (Actiontec?) wireless router. The router is connected to my PC, and my connection speed is acceptable. My wife's computer, which is ten feet away in an adjacent room, is significantly slower when surfing the Web. She's using a company laptop, so maybe it has something to do with the software on her computer. But I'm wondering if the problem is the wireless connection. If so, is there anything we can do to tweak her computer?

Sky

Reply to
skyf
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

First test the speed of the connection on both computers. Try .

Reply to
John Navas

You forgot some information:

computer type and model number wireless card type and model number router type and model number

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

There are tweaking programs available. One is called "tweakmaster" by Hagel. A while back running it improved my network / internet speed on a WinMe machine. There is free trial a but I discovered that if you use it and then uninstall the program it reverts your settings. Then there is the issue of does she have "rights" to install software on a company computer.

Reply to
DanR

Define "Significantly" - 10x slower, 100x slower ?

Anyway if it connects at all, then its not a "settings" issue on the laptop, and tweaking it won't help.

Just a thought tho - when she fires up the lappy, does she have to login to her office network in order to get it working? If so, the slowness isn't at your end, its at the office - you're using a VPN and all traffic is being routed through the office. My own office laptop is noticeable slower browsing the 'net than my own PC for this reason, even tho both are plugged into the same router.

I missed that bit. If its a company laptop, you should under no circumstances try tweaking it. Under UK law, and I suspect under US and EU equivalents, tampering with company computing equipment would be a pretty serious breach of contract and would leave your wife liable to summary dismissal.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.