Turn off BEEP of Intel Pro/Set Wireless

I hope I am posting this question in the right place. If not, I apologize. I have a Dell laptop running WindowsXP Pro SP-2. My question: Is there a way to turn off the BEEP when the Intel Pro/Set Wireless software finds a Wi-Fi signal? What happens now is, when a Wi- Fi network signal is found, a popup message appears on the screen, informing me of that. But there are also one or more short BEEPs (it sounds like the "regular" Windows beep) which continue until I choose to connect with the discovered wireless network or to close the popup window. At Tools>Application Settings in the Pro/Set software, which I open by double-clicking the icon in the taskbar, there are a variety of configuration options, but there doesn't seem to be anything like "Turn on (or off) sound (or beep)". In the Windows Control Panel, at "Sounds and Audio Devices" I have selected "No Sounds" at the "Sounds" tab, and at the "Volume" tab, I have selected "Mute All". Is there somewhere else I need to turn off sounds so that, on finding a Wi-Fi signal, the Intel Pro/Set software will simply show a popup window and hold the BEEP? Thank you.

Reply to
francis
Loading thread data ...

I meant to add: In the Pro/Set software, at "About", the software version is shown as 10.1.0.3, and the plug-in version is 10.1.1.162. Thanks.

Reply to
francis

"francis" hath wroth:

I think you were in the right place. Go back to the: Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices and hit the "Sounds" tab. You'll see a list of "events" that produce sounds. Look through the list and see if there's anything with Intel or Proset in the name. I think you can figure out the rest.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"francis" hath wroth:

You might consider upgrading to 10.5.x. There were a few security problems in 10.1.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

Jeff, Thanks for your replies, and particulary for the security alert. The BEEP is really just a nuisance, but the security issue matters. I upgraded the software to ver. 10.5.1.0. There are no events at Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> "Sounds" tab that have Intel or Proset or anything like that in the name. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Francis

Reply to
francis

"francis" hath wroth:

Nope. Kev found the answer. See his reply to your question or:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff and Kev, Thanks for that link. I have made the change suggested there. It will be a couple of days before I have a chance to test it (be in range of a Wi-Fi signal).

Reply to
francis

I tested it today on a nearby public library's Wi-Fi signal. The software found the signal and connected fine, and no BEEP! The link you gave me had the answer. For anyone who has the same issue, and comes across this thread, here again is the link:

formatting link
Here's the relevant text from that text: "As for the beeping, I think that I managed to fix that by modifying a setting in the Intel PROSet/ Wireless Application Settings (issue a Control + P from within the application) window. The setting that I changed was to uncheck the 'Show Information Notifications' box. This seemed to work for me".

Once again, thanks!

Reply to
francis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.