Turn access control on

I hope my question is simple to answer!

I have a Netgear DG834G and have it set so that security is disabled and Access Control is switched on with each attached computer's MAC entered onto the "trusted wireless station" list. I also have Norton and MS XP firewalls on attached computers.

Does this config give prevent anyone not on my trusted list accessing either my network and my computers?

Thanks

Reply to
John Hunter
Loading thread data ...

No.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

No. MAC addresses can be spoofed. It is better to enable encryption, specifically, WPA, WPA2 including WPA-PSK. If your hardware doesn't support WPA, then enable WEP. It's better than nothing. In regard to your double software firewalls, just know that having more than one software firewall "can" cause incompatibility issues.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Doug,

Many thanks, you learn something every day.

I've now changed this to WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and access control on - does this give me a reasonable degree of protection?

Thanks again,

John

Reply to
John Hunter

On su, 01 apr 2007 22:17:55 GMT, "Doug Jamal" wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

No. The MAC address is sent in the clear.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

They say that this WPA-PSK IS secure if you use a 20 character or longer passphrase randomly generated. Personally, I use one I can remember but it's mixed alphanumeric and not words, of 20 characters.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On 2 Apr 2007 07:08:32 -0700, "seaweedsteve" wrote in :

Yes _if_ you use a strong passphrase. See wikis below for recommendations.

That's sufficient.

My own preference is to use seven diceware words. Easy to enter, while still being very secure. See

Reply to
John Navas

No Problem, Sir. We've all learned things from this newsgroup. Anyway, to answer your question....Depending on your passphrase, it will give you a great degree of protection. I suggest using a long nonsense passphrase. Example: y8_@&x&k7uf$8KOA24FOXWj$;6

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.