trying to get Intel Pro Wireless 2011 LAN Access Point to work with my XP

Hi ; I just bought a 2nd hand Access Point (Intel) that the ex owner was claiming he is using it with XP . (Although the web site had no XP option download in teh website- Guess its obsolete) .

I have been trying to get this to work with my XP and damn can't figure out why it is not picking it up. My Laptop has wifi and picks up wirless networks when i take it to work but with the router and then to the AP , my lap top does not pick up anything . Has anyone done this and is a guru in config AP's on XP ?

Cheers

Reply to
BadMullah
Loading thread data ...

Firstly, an access point is a layer 2 bridge and is thus protocol and operating system indepedent.

If you're trying to configure it via XP and it's not a web based config, you'll need a utility to do it.

At this point that's where this dialogue ends until you post the type/model name/spec of the access point!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks for reply.

I bought this Access point a week ago

formatting link
It is a Intel PRO Wireless 2011 LAN Acess Point

Ex owener says he has been us000347144EC3

I was going to telnet to it assuming that is an IP address according to Intel=AEPRO/Wireless 2011 -Access Point Product Reference Guide It says "Section:Gaining Access to the UI The method for establishing access to the UI depends on the connection used. Select the setup that best fits the network environment.

"2.1.1 Using a Telnet session to gain access to the UI requires that a remote station have a TCP/IP stack. The remote station can be on the wired or wireless LAN. To access the AP from the workstation:

1=2E From the DOS prompt Telnet to the AP using its IP address: Telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2=2E At the prompt type the password: Intel The password is case-sensitive."

but I think that is shorter than an IP address to be telneted... there is WLAN Utilities in intels website that I have downloaded but WLan Monitor application says 'An Intel(R) PRO/wirless 2011 LAN adaptor not found'

Thanks .

Reply to
BadMullah

In order to manage the AP by IP, you need to know the IP address, the serial number won't help. The Wlan monitor program you're trying to use is for a local LAN adaptor and has nothing to do with managing the access point.

You could try asking the seller if he knows the IP address but lets figure on the fact that he doesn't.

You have an alternate easy option which is to connect a serial cable directly to the access point and you should be able to configure it that way although if it requires a login, you will need those details too.

formatting link
Have a look in the manual to see if there's a reset to defaults option.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Reply to
BadMullah

Ok David managed to find out who to reset it to teh default IP address by after i do that then i guess i ll telnet to it and login using the password and get into a firmware Program

Press the ESC key. The AP displays the Main Menu: Intel PRO/2011 Access Point MAIN MENU Show System Summary AP Installation Show Interface Statistics Special Functions Show Forwarding Counts Set System Configuration Show Mobile Units Set RF Configuration Show Known APs Set Serial Port Configuration Show Ethernet Statistics Set Access Control List Show RF Statistics Set Address Filtering Show Misc. Statistics Set Type Filtering Show Event History Set SNMP Configuration Enter Admin Mode Set Event Logging Configuration

- If the session is idle (e.g. no input) for the configured time, the session terminates.

- Press CTRL+D to manually terminate the session. Set the System Passwords in the Set System Configuration screen.

But then What ??? What Next?

Cheers

Reply to
BadMullah

OK I login to the IP address enter my password but then what? What am I supposed to do at the AP end so once AP is connected to my ADSL router it can communicate with my laptop !!!! What info does the AP need to be taught about the Laptop ?

Thanks

Reply to
BadMullah

OK - Thanks for all your replies - Cheers

Reply to
BadMullah

Find out what the default IP address is and connect to it via a web browser! :)

The default IP will be listed in the manual and you'll just need to temporarily set your machine to a compatible address.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Nothing, the AP needs nothing about the laptop. I'm not familiar with that AP though so don't know what you have to do to get it going.

You will need to configure a SSID somewhere, you'll want to configure some security option and that's probably about it.

It's a bridge device, meaning it doesn't care about IP addresses, password for the laptop etc. It just passes ethernet packets between the wired and wireless networks.

It might not be the most suitable AP for you though if you have no experience of wireless at all, there are other probably more suitable devices from Dlink, Linksys etc that are more aimed at the home market.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Sorry again David;

I did an AP reset - it did what the manual said but rebooted typed the IP at the web browser and typed the IP address . It came back with a timeout after a while .

Did I have to used a serial port cable for connection from AP to my Laptop? or was teh connection meant to be wireless?

Reply to
BadMullah
192.0.2.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (???) My laptop haS NO SERIAL PORT .DO I HAVE TO GET A usb TO SERIAL PORT CABLE ? (serial cable driver is on the laptop as my phone 's doanload uses a serail cable - guess that would use teh same way).

Thanks

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
BadMullah

do u mean my laptop or the AP?

i assigned nothing - that 192.0.2.1 is teh IP of AP at the factory level reset.

I am getting confused ')

Reply to
BadMullah

typed what IP address? What IP address does it say it will default to in the manual?

What IP address did you assign to your machine?

That's probably one way of doing it.

No, do it wired.

Reply to
David Taylor

The AP will have a default address. You will need to configure an IP address for your laptop otherwise you can't communicate with the AP.

Try 192.0.2.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0

That does seem a very odd default IP address though?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Hi David ; I sold the AP and teh guy who bought it managed to get it going as i just did not think I had teh patience and time to deal with it. Anyway I thought I owe you this : This is what he write to me. "The IP address that was written on the back turned out to be the factory default, and I found the same thing when I tried to ping it, and monitoring my router which I connected it to showed it was not picking up a new IP address from the router so I new that it had DHCP disabled. This meant that I had to access the setup via the serial port on the back. Made up the appropriate cable to connect and ran HyperTerminal on my PC to access the configuration via the serial port. Fortunately the factory default login passwords had not been changed. The setup confirmed that DHCP had been disabled and that an manual IP address of 192.160.0.50 had been assigned. The only parameter I really had to change to get it running was to enable DHCP so that it picked up an IP address from the router. Once that was done and the AP rebooted it picked up a new IP address from my router and it was all go and my lap top found it no problems. However, I have since downloaded the manual and have tweaked a few other parameters to enhance performance and security. "

Reply to
BadMullah

We could have been farting around with it for a while.

If you want an easy box to configure, my suggestion is something like a Linksys WAP54.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.