trying to connect a cable modem to a wireless router

Time Warner/Road Runner is offering me a connection to the Internet through an RCA cable modem, Model DCM425:

formatting link
The thing has only two connection ports, one is a USB and the other one for an Ethernet RJ45 cable

I need to connect the only Ethernet port from the cable modem to a TP- LINK TL-WR642G router

After noticing some problems I thought the two routers where conflicting, so I changed the internal IP of the TP-LINK to

192.168.2.1, but I cannot still connect to the Internet

What am I missing?

Could my ISP check that there are connections from other MAC addresses and block them?

What should I do to fix this problem?

Thank you lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx
Loading thread data ...

here's a photo of the connections -

formatting link
the router -
formatting link
here we go again.... - "after noticing some problems"

way don't you for once start at the beginning, and just explain what you did, what was originally working (if anything), what you changed, & what is not working now..

Reply to
ps56k

I also use Time-Warner with a wireless router. If you wire the modem directly to your computer, can you connect to the Internet? If not, then Time-Warner and/or the modem have a problem. If it works with a direct connection, you need to do the following:

1. Connect the RJ45 port of the modem to the WAN port of the router.
  2. Use a computer hard-wired to a LAN port on the router to verify that the router uses DHCP on both LAN and WAN sides. According to the product into, there is a Web configuration option. I don't have your model router so I cannot help you any further on this step.
  3. After any reconfiguration is step 2 is saved, power off both the modem and the router.
  4. Power on the modem and let it connect to Time-Warner. Then power on the router. Then try your wired connection to the LAN. If the router times out in the DHCP step, it may get an automatic IP, which is why the sequence is important.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger
[ snip ]

Make sure to do a full power down recycle of the "cable modem". many of them will "see" the MAC (kind of like the serial number) of whatever you've plugged into them, and won't hook up to something new until power cycled.

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.