Troubleshooting a suddenly-slow wireless link

Recently my Raspberry Pi 3's wireless link got slow. My ISP was the first suspect, but it turns out the Pi3, and only the Pi3, exhibits slow ping (5ms) and low throughput (2 Mbps). Formerly, ping was about 1 ms and throughput about 20 Mbps. The change was sudden, in the space of an afternoon. There was some recovery overnight, but not enough to use things like YouTube, which formerly worked well enough to be useful.

One reasonable guess is that a new neighbor has fired up a WAP that's interfering with the Pi's wifi connection. Are there any software tools that run on Raspberry Pi3 or a 10.7.5 iMac which can help to detect wireless conflicts?

My WAP is an Apple Airport Extreme of great antiquity. It has "just worked" since setup and I've never looked closely at it. It is locked, and uses WPA encryption.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska
Loading thread data ...

You might try an app that runs on smartphones called WiFi analyzer. It will at least show you if there are other WiFis using the same channel as the Pi. I don't know if it runs on a iphone, mine runs on an Android.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.