Trouble to connect with Linksys Wireless-G USB adaptor

How about the model numbers instead of the marketting names?

OK, you have WEP 128 enabled. My guess(tm) is that somehow, the WEP key either changed or was scrambled. First, dive into the router settings and disable WEP encryption. You should get an IP address and connectivity should be restored. Then, re-install the WEP128 keys in both the router and the client configurations. However, you're about to have a problem. Dlink and Linksys use different ASCII to Hex conversion algorithms. If you use an ASCII key on both ends, it will not work. Try using ASCII but I'm fairly sure you'll need to use a Hex key for this to work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a D-link AirPLus 802.11g router with a Linksys Wireless-G 802.11g USB adaptor on my notebook for internet access. My ISP is Earthlink Cable with Times Warner. The adaptor worked fine all along. But recently it couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server somehow. I checked its TCP/IP setting. They're all fine. It's set to automatically getting IP from the DHCP server. Can some of you experts help me to troubleshoot?

The status on the router shows

formatting link

Command IPCONFIG on the said notebook shows nothing for fields like

DNS Suffix Search list Connectionn-specific DNS suffix DHCP Server DNS Server

Its IP address is a self generated IP, different from

192.168.0.xxx.

I did ipconfig /renew. It would say it can't get an IP from the DHCP server.

The IPCONFIG on my other working wireless desktop, which has a D-link AirPlus Wireless 802.11g USB adaptor, shows:

C:>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : workstation03 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : earthlink.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless U SB Adapter(rev.A2) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :

00-11-95-D5-D3-7A Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 26, 2005 9:19:52 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:19:52 AM
Reply to
likeit

Congrats.

I was going to say something nasty about MS WZC (Wireless Zero Config) but I couldn't tell for sure if you were using WZC or the connection tool that came with your Linksys USB radio. Microsoft did a rather nice job of dealing with ASCII vs Hex and 64 bit vs 128 vs no encryption. Just type in the key and it will guess its way through the combinations and permutations. That part works fairly well. However, they forgot to include any kind of diagnostics or error messages. Not even a log file buried where mortals can never find it. The only clue that you have a WEP key mismatch failure is that WZC shows "connected" followed by "Obtaining IP address". It sits at "Obtaining IP address" for about 2 minutes until it times out, where it delivers an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx and announces that you have "limited connectivity". For all the work MS did on XP SP2, one would think that error recovery and logging would have been implimented and tested. Nope.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're right. The key somehow was erased. But it didn't complain about that when making the connection. And the connection can actually be made but no ip was assigned. After I retype the key, the internet was back to life.

So simple for such a big headache.

Reply to
likeit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.