Trouble connecting to my own wireless router...

I live in an apartment and I pick up multiple router connections. I have been able to identify my router amongst the list of available routers. The problem is, whenever I try connecting to it says "connecting to network" and it says this for a very long time. After doing this for ~5 minutes, it connects to a different network rather than the one I selected. The router is a westell versalink model 327w. I am on a HP pavillion dv6113us Entertainment Notebook PC.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
shorteze
Loading thread data ...

What make an model wireless router?

If you're having problems identifying your own router, you might consider setting up the router for a unique SSID that will not cause you any difficulties in identifying.

If your router is setup for WEP, try using the hex encryption key instead of the ASCII encryption key. If that's not it, try temporarily turning off encryption and see if that helps. Then figure out what went wrong with the encryption.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Couple of things to look at. First, bring up the available wireless networks window and on the left hand side, click the "Change the order of preferred networks." You will see a list of networks that you are currently set up to automatically try to connect to. The system starts at the top of this list and works its way down until it gets connected to one. Clear off the ones that you don't need and make sure that your own network is at the top.

The next thing that you need to do is make sure that you can actually connect to your own network. Make sure that you are using the correct password. You might want to do a quick test by turning off security and see if you can connect. If so, turn on security and give it a shot.

Hope this helps.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
BCage

Reply to
shorteze

Hmmm... if you are connected a wired port on the router and you are able to connect to the internet then it is limited to the access point or your wireless NIC in your machine. The only suggestion that I have is to turn off all encryption and change your ssid. That will force your computer to create a new configuration for the connection. If you see the new ssid try to connect and see what happens. If that works, go back and delete the old setups.

H> Its still giving me a hard time. Its unsecured and everything, turned

Reply to
BCage

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.