Trouble connecting to Internet through my D-Link router

Hi,

I have a little bit of an older setup -- Win XP and a D-Link 802.11g wireless router, with cable Internet being provided by a company named RCN. Everything works great when I am connected directly to the modem. However, when I connect through the router, despite the fact my LAN and wireless connection icons tell me I'm connected, I repeatedly get errors when trying to resolve hosts, like google.com.

I have restarted everything (modem, router, PC). Do you have any additional ideas for troubleshooting the setup?

Thanks, - Dave

Reply to
laredotornado
Loading thread data ...

If you log onto the router there should be a screen somewhere to give it the IP addresses of the DNS servers to use, or to get them automatically from your Internet provider.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

It may be time to replace your router. I had similiar and when I replaced it they went away but, it sound like the same problems I encountered.

Reply to
Rick

By 'restarted everything' I assume that means: physically connect by ethernet all of the following: modem, router, PC in a shutdown condition. Then powerup sequentially modem, watching lights, router, watching lights, and then PC assessing ipconfig on your windows machine.

Nothing related to troubleshooting should be done by wifi at this time.

You didn't say what ipconfig said, whether it got a translated address from the router ie 192.168.x.xx. That is, run/ cmd/ ipconfig

You also didn't say whether or not you could access the dlink's configuration page at 192.168.0.1 and then login with admin password blank - or your password configuration.

That is; from a troubleshooting perspective, you need to poweron the network in sequential order, then you need to be getting a translated address from the router, then you need to be able to access the router's configuration page at its address and login.

Then you know you are hooked up to the router because it gave you an address. The wireless business should only follow good ethernet connectivity. Your troubleshooting info here has not described the good vs the bad parts yet.

Only after you know you have a translated address from the router can you look at the router's webpage and find if it is connected to the internet with a WAN IP address from the modem.

Reply to
Mike Easter

To simplify, things, I disabled my wireless connection to see if I could get anything from the router. Per Mike's points, here is what I found out:

I can access the router and log in to the admin page.

"ipconfig" generates this ...

C:\Documents and Settings\D Alvarado>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

One interesting thing, when I unplug the modem (Arris:, Model#: TM402G/

110), the power lights are all still on. Not sure if it charges itself and retains power for a while or what, but I wanted to bring it to the group's attention for your input and feedback, which was much appreciated, - Dave
Reply to
laredotornado

Good.

Ah, so.

The Arris TM402G is a modem for cable internet and VoIP telephony which has a battery, but according to my information, most of the lights should be off when the AC power plug is pulled.

The docs I have say that with AC pulled, the power light flashes, the DS, US, Online, and Link lights are off, the telephone lights are unchanged, and the battery light is on if the battery is good. DS/US down/upstreams.

With that battery in there, the network building from the ground up is a little different because you would need to use the reset button in the pin hole in the back of the unit to reset the modem.

So, the 'full' network rebuild would be powerdown everything but the modem, which modem is reset by using a pointy thing (I use a thick straightened paper clip) into the reset button hole. Manuals advise nonmetallic, but I don't have anything around here like that, (with the possible exception of a wooden pointy shishkebab thing).

Then, I think the sequence after reset would be everything flashing, then the powerlight on, then the DS flashing and then acquisition on, then the US flashing and then acquisition on, then the online flashing and acquisition on. I'm not sure where the telephony light sequence is in that, but our focus is on the internet.

So, now you have good cable lights and it internally has an IP address and it is looking for something to give an address to.

So you plugin/powerup the router. You also watch its lights, because these lighting sequences are worthwhile for troubleshooting. I don't have your router's manual in front of me right now, but you should

Now you are powering up the computer which you have ethernetted to the router. You said that you could see the admin page, so you can see the WAN IP address in there and you can make sure that you are configured the way you want to be about your nameservice and your wireless security.

If resetting the modem and the router solved your problems, fine. If not report any problems which you experience in this ethernet mode.

Reply to
Mike Easter

The TM402G is a VoIP gateway, and from what I see on it, it has an internal battery that will keep it going for up to 8 hours during a power shortage.

Your ipconfig output looks good to me. It would be interesting tho to know what DNS servers your computer is picking up. If those are missing or invalid, then you would get errors trying to resolve a URL like Google.com. I get an IP address for Google.com here of 74.125.65.106. If you can ping (or tracert) to that IP, but not to Google.com -- that would further indicate DNS server problems.

If your modem (the TM402G) is doing network translation, and the router is also (probably) that can be bad news. But, you said you can log into the router -- does it tell you in it's status page (or wherever) what it is picking up from the modem? Does it indicate it has DNS servers to hand out? And, I assume it is set up to act as a DHCP server.

If your computer is not getting DNS servers supplied, you can tell it to use specific one. Some public servers you can use are 8.8.8.8 and

4.2.2.4, or you can google and find others. If the router isn't getting the DNS servers to hand out, you could tell it to use those.

If I give the command ipconfig /all I will see what my computer is using for a DNS server, but in my case, it simply is pointing to my router! So you would need to make sure your router has DNS server addresses (either picked up from your ISP, or supplied by you) -- or you need to add them in the TCP/IP properties in XP.

Did I confuse you, or just myself :-)

...Bob

Reply to
Bob K

Also the modelno of the D-Link router.

Reply to
Mike Easter

K, well everything is up and running now, as evidenced by this post. I followed the reset sequence outlined by Mike and now I'm back online. Interestingly, Bob's point about the DNS servers may have also been an issue b/c when I was connected directly to the modem earlier today, DNS resolution was failing. I changed my DNS server and solved that problem, though.

Thanks to all!

Reply to
laredotornado

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.