Tray Icon Error

Is this something to do with the WiFi NIC being managed NOT by XP, but by vendor software instead, so XP thinks it's disconnected?

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

I saw that for the first time last week while connected wirelessly to a Holiday Inn wireless network on my laptop running a Belkin 802.11g card. The "X" was there but the connection was connected. Eventually the connection truly failed and I had to reboot to get a connection again. I could not disconnect then connect manually. Weird...

Reply to
Sooner Al [MVP]

Running WIN XP Pro, SP2 and sometimes the wireless systray icon intermitently shows a red X through it even though I am connected to the internet via my Linksys router via the Linksys wireless PCI card.

Yup, I'm sure it's the wireless icon (the one with the radio waves) and not the ethernet icon and I've unistalled/reinstalled the adapter and driver several times. Linksys tech support says they only support their software, not Windows Zero Configuration.

Any ideas to fix?

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

That is weird, but my connection never fails--- just shows the wrong info in the tray.

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

I've had that at home too but as long as the machine was actually connected, didn't care too much :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Not in my case no.

Reply to
David Taylor

The "two computer" icon is the wired network. icon The one with the radio waves is the wireless network...

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

I have a similar problem in that the two computer icon Internet comes and goes - sometimes saying I'm not connected, even though I am. Then out of the blue it comes back and says I'm connected - I have been unable to see any pattern.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Try the link below. You may need to contact Microsoft as the article explains. Since linksys should be recognized by XP.

formatting link
HTH Mr Nobody

Reply to
Mr. Nobody

May be true for some but not in my case, zero config quite happily works most of the time, it's just that i've seen it once or twice. I'm not trying to fix it though, it's just an icon, it doesn't affect the operation. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thank you, that's it.

Doc

Reply to
John H. Holliday

I have this happen on occasion on the laptop which is wi-fi only or this one which is wi-fi and wired at the same time (wired to other computers and sharing the wi-fi connection to go to the router). I never have been able to find out why it happens. When I feel pedantic, I disable the NIC and enable and all is OK again.

Reply to
Diamontina Cocktail

Interesting article and thanks for the link. My D-Link DWL120+ NICs all work normally. All I can think is that something just misfires now and then.

Reply to
Diamontina Cocktail

In an attempt to solve the problem I tried a wired connection - which I have since kept. There was no change.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.