Travelling Network

I would like to set up a rolling camping network. In my camper I have a printer, a tablet, a laptop, and two cell phones. These would all connect to my router in the camper.

The router would connect to the campground Wifi and establish a VPN to my home router, which would act as a proxy. I trust my local ISP more than a random campground Wifi.

If needed I could have two routers in the camper, one to run my network, the other to connect to the campground Wifi.

I have seen three ways that campgrounds are set up:

- open network

- open network, but it requires a login (usually using a browser)

- closed network with a passphrase

Ideally I would arrive, get the campground credentials from the office, connect to my router, establish a session with the campground Wifi, then simply use my devices without any other configurations.

I don't care which router(s) I get, and I can flash a new OS if need be.

Is this possible?

Reply to
Wojtek
Loading thread data ...

Wojtek-

It probably would work, but I use a slightly different system. I have a cellular modem that plugs into a USB port.

I use mine with a compatible Cradlepoint WiFi router. My printer is connected to one of the Cradlepoint's Ethernet ports. The computer and iPad connect by WiFi.

A campground's WiFi may have faster speeds than the cellular modem, but you would be prepared when you visit a campground that does not have WiFi. Using a DC-to-AC inverter to power the router, your passengers can use the system while riding in the car.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I thought about that, setting up a hotspot using my cell phone, then everything connected to it. But data plans can be expensive, while campground Wifi is included.

If there is no available Wifi, then I could use the trailer router to connect to my phone.

Reply to
Wojtek

You need a router that is a wifi client on the wan side.

DDWRT does this, but it is uncharted territory for me.

It sounds like a wireless bridge would do what you want, but you would have to handle the proxy on a per device basis (I think).

If you get this to work, let us know.

Reply to
miso

I ran that way for several years. dd-wrt can be bridged into a WiFi network, or it can act as a client. The former allows connections to be initiated in either direction, while the latter is more like a NAT router in that it only allows outbound initiated connections. Also, the former typically puts everything into the same IP address space while the latter will have different IP ranges on the two sides of the dd-wrt device.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.