Translating U-Verse Speed

----------------

DSL Details Modem Type Built in modem - ADSL/VDSL

DSL Line Line 1 (inner pair) Down Up User Rate 13215 kbs 1534 kbs Max User Rate 31920 kbs 8909 kbs Noise Margin 21.8 dB 25.9 dB Attenuation 20.8 dB 19.7 dB Output Power 13.1 dBm 7.5 dBm

Protocol G.993.2_8d Channel Interleaved DSLAM Vendor Information Country {46336} Vendor {BDCM} Specific {41971 } Rate Cap 31731 kbs Attenuation @ 300kHz 11.7 dB VCXO Frequency Offset 21.0 ppm Ok Excessive Impulse Noise 1 Interleaved mode recommended

-----------------

What is Max User Rate vs. User Rate? And how come when I play with any of these numbers (I'm probably not doing it right) I don't come out any of the published AT&T speed tiers (which start at 6Gb and are in 6Gb increments from there upwards).

A speed test shows I'm getting about 8Gb up.

TIA,

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

Errrr. I mean Mbps, not Gbps. But you probably already knew that.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

That's the highest speed your modem can do and still maintain a resonable BER (bit error rate).

That's what the line is capable of doing, if you pay AT&T enough.

That's your signal to noise ratio. Bigger is better.

That's your signal loss between the AT&T DSLAM and your modem. Smaller is better.

That's line drive (tx) level in both directions. Smaller is better.

That's the most that AT&T will allow (rate cap).

Max user rate is best you could do as limited by hardware under perfect conditions. User rate is the best you can do considering line conditions and BER (bit error rate).

Speed tiers are for marketing. The number you see here are a tangled mess which includes IP-DSL overhead, retransmissions, lost packets, etc.

Yep. 8909 kbit/sec if your speed test had that level of resolution.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the explanation. When I had regular AT&T DSL the rates in the modem config were as published for that speed tier.

So 13215 and 31920 are not supposed to translate into numbers proportionate to your actual speed tier?

Anyway - I'm not complaining. I'm paying $15/month for 8Kbps which is almost twice as much as I was getting for $51/month. Hopefully when that 12-month contract is up Google Fiber will be ready here.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.