TP-link modem/router

I've just replaced my Linksys WAG160N (what a pile of junk!) with a TP-LINK TD-W8960N.

The new router (which was a lot cheaper than the Linksys) is working perfectly but I have noticed a strange thing.

I have set the SSID of the router as 'TP-LINK'. If I hover the mouse pointer over the connection icon in the systray, however, the pop-up window shows:

Currently connected to: TP-LINK 2 (TP-LINK)

I just wonder where the '2' has come from?

The SSID of the Linksys router was just 'Linksys', and if I hovered the mouse over the connection icon the window just stated:

Currently connected to: Linksys.

There isn't a problem - but I'm just intrigued as to why the SSID of 'TP-LINK' has changed to 'TP-LINK 2 (TP-LINK)'.

Anyone have an explanation?

Kev

Reply to
Ret.
Loading thread data ...

Probably due to two device installs in Windows, which increments a number for subsequent installs.

Reply to
John Navas

You are Vista.

Go into Manage Wireless Networks.

You can get there from CP/ Network and Sharing Center or via that systray R click.

See if you have (inadvertently) created two TP-LINKs in 'Networks you can view and modify'.

Sometimes during the wizard stage you can make more than one.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Nope - that doesn't appear to be it. The only two networks available were the new TP-LINK - plus my old 'Linksys' network (which I removed as I don't need it anymore).

Anyway - it doesn't really matter. The network is working well - and that's a refreshing change from the Linksys WAG160N which must be one of the most useless routers available!

Thanks for the suggestion however.

Reply to
Ret.

Managed to sort it. Went into Network and Sharing Center and just re-named 'TP-Link 2' by removing the '2'.

Now, hovering the mouse cursor over the connection icon, just gives me 'Currently connected to TP-LINK.

Tks for your advice.

-- Kev

Reply to
Ret.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.