Touring the US: WIFI-advice needed!?

Hi there,

I'm a Dutch photographer and will be touring the US (New York to Seattle) by RV for a month as of oct. 15th. Carrying a Mac laptop with airport. Need good connection regularly for business reasons. Now the question: where do I find connection? Will the KOA-parks have anything? Are there any specific gas stations that offer WIFI? What kind of account(s) and/or subscriptions would you recommend for somebody only visiting one month? Do I have to visit Starbucks all the time (hope not)? Prices?

In other words: any advice welcome!

Best regards,

T.Heslenfeld The Netherlands

formatting link

Reply to
thijs heslenfeld
Loading thread data ...

Here's one site to get you started.

formatting link

Reply to
DanR

Well, if you can afford to drive an RV that far with what gas is going for over here these days (although it shouldn't be as bad a month from now with the hurricane recovery farther along), price may not be much of an object, but free Wi-Fi is becoming pretty much ubiquitous nationwide so you shouldn't have much problem finding it. Check out this website to see what's available along your planned route:

formatting link

Have fun and good luck!

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

Good site, but very incomplete. I just added three free hot spots in my own city (95014), and those are ones I happen to know off the top of my head, there are many more I'm sure.

But the bottom line is that the original poster should not have any trouble finding free hot spots.

Reply to
SMS

Was looking at costs of internet access at other various countries besides the US and see they get usually get charged by the amount that is downloaded instead of a flat fee. Maybe that is why people are a little more careful with who leeches of their networks overseas and don't have it out there for free like most neighborhoods here in the US.

Reply to
ravingx

If you're traveling through Iowa, all of the rest areas have free wifi now. I used it on a recent trip to Colorado from Illinois. It worked great!

alien

Reply to
alien

It seems like free wi-fi is very much a U.S. phenomena. I read one of the U.K. newsgroups, and it appears to be almost non-existent in the U.K. or Europe, kind of like free refills on coffee. Cell phone rates are also at least 2x what we pay over here, when you factor in the extra cost of calling a cell phone from a landline, or from a different cell carrier.

Reply to
SMS

Makes sense, I guess. Geez, paying by the amount that is downloaded is so 20th century.

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.