Toshiba Sat S3094 to Linksys BEFW11S4 help needed

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite notebook model M115-3094. I already have a router, a Linksys BEFW11S4. The Linksys is a B router, and the Toshiba has A, B, and G built in. If I connect with no WEP or WPA security it works fine, however if I add WEP or WPA, it will connect first time, but after a few minutes of not using the connection, or after waking the laptop from battery saver mode, the connection is down, and it says I can choose a wireless connection. It then takes several tries with the password, etc. The ConfigFree utility does not seem to help so far. On my laptop, I have an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, and Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

For security my router offers WPA PSK TKIP, WPA Radius TKIP, Radius, and WEP 64 bit/10 hex digits or 128 bit./26 hex digits. The laptop properties box offers WPA PSK TKIP (which is what I'm using), as I don't see the other choice, AES, on my router. The laptop also "offers" Open and Shared WEP, if I'm reading it right, and WPA2, and WPA2-PSK which I don't see on my router.

Any help appreciated, thanks much.

Reply to
DK1000
Loading thread data ...

The BEFW11S4 was a crappy router. Throw it away and get something new that does WPA and 802.11g. Routers are far cheaper than the hassle and aggravtion of putting up with the BEFW11S4's many faults.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks, also my system goes out at least twice a week, just out of nowhere, I go to use the Internet on one computer, and keep getting "Page not found " errors, while the other PC is OK, sometimes both are out, and I shut off both PC's, unplug the router, cable modem, and VOIP connection, plug everything back in, then turn on one PC, then the other after the first one boots up, or else both PC's say some kind of network configuration error. That's just the two I have networked in with Ethernet cable, not counting my laptop which I want wireless.

Any suggestions for a new router that has good reviews/performance under $100. I also have a Packet 8 VOIP phone box that it needs to be compatible with. Thanks much.

Reply to
DK1000

Hi, Do you have latest firmware for the router and latest driver for the Intel wireless card?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks Tony,

I was thinking about that, but I thought if something goes wrong while updating, I have a useless brick on my hands, but then I'll still have one PC I can hook up directly to the cable modem I guess until I figure it out. I'll look into updating the card, however it's a brand new laptop.

Reply to
DK1000

Hi, If you use NIC connection, downloading corrupt file is unlikely. First you update the wireless card driver, then check router firmware. It can make a difference. I am Thinkpad guy. Long time ago I had Toshi laptop which gave me an excellent service.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just tried updating the router firmware from the Linksys site, and the latest they have is v1.50 from 2003, which seems to be the same one I have already. I believe I bought the router Spring 2004.

There's three things listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters, 1394 Network Adapter (Microsoft Driver 7/1/2001 v 5.1.2535.0)), Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (Intel 7/2/2006 v 10.5.1.57), and Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

6/27/2006 v 5.652.627.2006). I know the Intel Pro is the driver in question, but I tried to driver update wizard to connect to Windows Update on all three of the above drivers, and the wizard states that it could not find a better match than what I have installed.

Reply to
DK1000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.