Torrent and wireless internet

Im using a wireless conection without security in my neighbourhood. I have no idea who provides it, what kind of rooter it is, all I know is that the connection is good and I never had any trouble with it. My question is, how can I find wich port are open to use bit torrent programs such as Utorrent or Emule. I was wondering if a Port Sniffer could help me... Thank you, JP snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
jpbrochu
Loading thread data ...

If you start a torrent with your neighbor's wireless, though he may not know you are using it now, he doubtless will when his connection slows to a crawl.

He might come looking for you ...

Reply to
Jerry Park

Before you go any further, consider whether you'd be happy with someone using your internet connection like this. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

d[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You're stealing service now in a small way, and now you want help stealing it in a big way?

Reply to
John Navas

Tell your neighbour to stop "beaming" that deadly signal into your home !

Reply to
frankdowling1

Leaving aside the ethical, moral, and legal aspects of using someone's AP without permission, you are going to suck up all their bandwidth with BitTorrent, and make their lives miserable. Please don't.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It is not a good idea to "freeload" on someone else's network without their permission. As for going to make use of a bit torrent facility across it, you are really asking for trouble when they find out that their connection performance drops. They may well be paying for the amount of data being used from their ISP and your "freeloading" is tantamount to theft.

Be honest and get your own connection.

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre

You can use one of the internet based security scanners to find holes in the firewall. However, the effort will surely be futile because none of the potential list of open IP ports will point to your PC's IP address. At worst, the owner of the router has setup some incoming ports for BitTorrent, but pointed them at his computer, not yours. Nice try.

Since the system is totally insecure, and since you don't seem too interested in asking permission before using someone elses system, you might wanna try just connecting to the web server in your neighbors router and configuring it for your benifit. Beside not having any wireless security, the router probably is running with defaults, which probably includes the default password. You should be able to identify the maker and model by the initial login screen.

However, if you still have something left of a concience, and actually want to make an attempt to ask the owner for permission, you can use a laptop as a crude direction finder by blocking most of the signal with some aluminum flashing as a reflector. It's not the best direction finder, but it will work well enough. For suburban neighborhoods, I can usually locate the house by just walking down the road with my laptop and watching the signal strength.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On a purely technical note, you can throttle the bittorrent bandwidth. It doesn't have to suck it dry but can run at a trickle.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com had me ROTFL with: news:1139010222.688857.232600 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The only advice I have is that you are a thief.

Reply to
Green Dragon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.