tools for wired side?

I'm looking to install two home LANs. For the hard-wired portion, what brand / style of crimpers and rj-45 connectors seems to work the best? I'll be going through walls, so wall plates will also be used. Thanks LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

Ideal Telemaster Ratchet crimper. About $40.

formatting link
model without the ratchet will work, but for a few dollars more, the ratchet will prevent flakey crimps. Avoid buying any crimpers where you can't see the ends of the wires.

I kinda like the cheapo Unicom wiring products.

formatting link
formatting link
plates:
formatting link
(boxes):
formatting link
Be careful about mixing vendors of CAT5 jacks and wall plates as different manufacturers are sufficiently different to cause problems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Good tips, thanks. Is it really necessary to spend $80 for a crimper though? Aren't there crimp-less connectors? Thanks again. LT

-------------

formatting link
The model without the ratchet will work, but for a few dollars more,

Reply to
LT

For what you are doing - just go get a cheap crimpers and a decent line tester from your local computer store.

For the wall jacks - there are crimperless solutions (see Leviton stuff at Home Depot) - but you need a punch down tool. Again - for the amount of work you are doing - a basic punch down tool will suffice.

Spend your money on a decent line tester. You would be amazed how often wires get crossed, or not connected correctly.

formatting link
> The model without the ratchet will work, but for a few dollars more,

Reply to
riggor

The wall jack connectors require a 110 type push-on tool, not a crimper. The RJ-45 plugs require a crimper. There's no way to do the plugs without a crimper. However, the jacks can be done with a small screwdriver if you're careful. However, my experience is that using a screwdriver is a really bad idea if you're clumsy, tired, sleepy, have eye problems, and are in a hurry. Buy the tools (including a loopback continuity tester such as:

formatting link
build your own:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.