TOO MANY wireless networks

I must live in geekzone heaven. There are a bazzillion unsecured networks in my apt. complex. When I go online, my laptop wants to connnect to every network except mine! How do I tell my laptop to "see" just my network. And how would I override this if, say, I went over to Starbuck's for some coffee and online business?

Reply to
46erjoe
Loading thread data ...

Hmm, select your WAP SSID?

46erjoe wrote:
Reply to
Louis Ohland

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:26:03 -0600, Louis Ohland wrotF:

I'm really new to wireless. Where do I see the selections? Thanks.

Reply to
46erjoe

Depending on which system you use, there is a screen that lists all the networks within "earshot" as it were. For instance the list at my computer currently has three (mine and two neighbors). Generally you click on yours and you are good to go. Most systems also have something way to lock on preferred networks, but that can change (at least in the terms used) from computer to computer and router to router.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Assuming you use WinXP and its wireless connection capability... Right click on the wireless icon in tray. (lower right) Click "Status". Click on "Properties". Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab. Under the "Preferred networks" area make sure your SSID is listed and at the top of that list. Make sure it says "Automatic" after the SSID name. You can also "Remove" other networks from the list. When at Starbucks... again... right click on the wireless icon in tray. Click on "view available wireless networks". If you see Starbucks in the list... Click it and then click on "Connect".

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.