To wireless package or not to wireless package - opinion needed!

Having previously posted a question about how to resolve my wireless requirements (many thanks for the responses) I have

been doing a bit of looking around. And now I need some more advice!

I have two options I have been eyeing up:

1=2E Cheap 3cOM package from Misco =A347

formatting link

- OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

- Wireless 54Mbps PC Card

- USB Adapter

Only actually need either the card or the stick - only have one pc which needs upgrading to wireless - which is best, card or stick?

2=2E More expensive Netgear option from Ebuyer =A355+=A322, Totak =A377 (I've spoken to a few people who have told me these are some of the most reiable units around in the UK. Plus they look

nice and the Modem router will be on display in the lounge...)

NETGEAR DG834G Integrated ADSL Modem 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router =A355

formatting link

• either

Netgear WG111 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter =A322

formatting link
or

Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card =A321

formatting link

So, Is it worth the extra money for Netgear? Speed of connection wise, I'm so far from the exchange BT tell me the fastest connection I'll get might be about 1.5Mb.

I'll probably do a bit of file transferring between home pc and laptop, but nothing major in size.

If I knew what I was doing in the world of wireless, I'd probably like to consider all the aspects, and have made a half-hearted attempt at listing criteria that could be rated out of 10:

-Ease to install, set up

-Connection Reliabilty

-Quality of firewall

-Technology Used

-Overall Quality of Unit Etc

Opinions greatly appreciatd again!

Thanks

Stripee

PS Not looked into this question properly, just being lazy: Can I buy a normal router and plug my standard USB modem into it? If the modem is USB powered, is there a USB socket to

run it off? Is this better/considerably worse than an all in one?

Reply to
Stripee
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.