Time to Upgrade

Just found out that my perfectly serviceable home wi-fi network is obsolete with bad security. Never had any problems with it, but I do notice that the list of networks around me has increased 1000+ since I was the only wireless network in the building - installation circa Christmas 2001. Equipment is Microsoft MN-500 Router at the main computer and internet connection; Microsoft PCN card on the laptop and an MN-510 USB wireless adapter on the TIVO box.

It's all working fine but I figure it may be time to upgrade - or should I?

Suggestions would be appreciated, especially for new equipment since I haven't visited this issue in a long time.

Thanks. Mark in DC

Reply to
Firethorne
Loading thread data ...

On 7 Apr 2007 10:06:24 -0700, "Firethorne" wrote in :

Strongly advise you to upgrade your wireless network to WPA security with a strong passphrase -- anything less is too weak to do much real good.

Reply to
John Navas

If you stick to 802.11g equipment and shop around, you should be able to upgrade your base station and two adapters to WPA-capable hardware for about $100. The faster 802.11n equipment now available costs more but provides little or no additional security benefits.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.