Time machine & SuperDuper!

In order to keep things (relatively) simple. I want to get an external HD and then get both TM and SD to use it. Is there a way to set it up? Any particular reason this is a bad idea?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

Simplicity is an illusion. Few things are ever simple. Those that are simple, tend not to remain simple.

Amazing what one can find with Google.

Nope. I do image backups on my systems roughly every 2-3 months, with file by file backups filling in between. The trick is to remember to purge the file by file backups after every image backup or you'll end up with a huge mess of old and new data to untangle.

Beware of anything that is amazing, miracle, magic, ultimate, super, professional, improved, updates, etc as they rarely are such.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply. It was especially appreciated since I clicked on the wrong group (this one is directly above comp.mac.sys.general in my list of NGs). Answered the question AND managed to not ask why the heck I was asking that question on alt.internet.wireless. A true prince (g).

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Better to ask this in one of the comp.sys.mac groups.

It can be done, but it's not a great idea. SuperDuper clones volumes, so you'll either have to partition the backup drive or have SD write to a sparse bundle (or image) file on it. Partitioning will waste some space but will give you a backup volume that's bootable. Having SD write to a file will save space, but TM will eventually be contending with SD for room, and you'll have to go into Time Machine to delete old backups manually. Probably not as "simple" as you want.

In either case, you'll end up with two copies of every current file: one in the SD clone and the other in the Time Machine backup. If that's actually what you want, it would make more sense to keep those additional backup copies on a physically distinct drive. When modern hard drives fail, it's usually sudden and total: everything on all partitions is lost.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Hmm, Prince Jeff, nah. I think we should put him in the position of King. Yes, Let it be done! Mike :-)

Reply to
amdx

No thanks. No sane person wants to be king, emperor, president, fearless leader, czar, khan, or other head of state. It's way too much work, tends to cause accelerated ageing, and makes too obvious a target. It also requires perfection where I can do all the right things for years, then make one mistake, and I'm history. No thanks. I'll settle for one of the US cabinet positions, where I can enrich my friends and mangle my income taxes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am holding out for an Ambassadorship.. preferably somewhere in the Caribbean. Kurt (His Honor, the Ambassador to the Turks and Caicos Islands) Ullman

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Searching Google for "assassinate ambassador" I find 1,430 hits, which is a bit too much for my personal comfort. At this time, I don't think we have any friends left in any country, so any country will probably suffice.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But none when you add Bahamas, St. Kitts, Turks and Caicos, Aruba or either Saint-Martin or Sint Maarten. So, if offered I am gonna take it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hoover

Reply to
atec7 7

You ARE related though, right?

formatting link

berk

Reply to
TBerk

We're sending you to Haiti, where you're really needed.

berk

Reply to
TBerk

No, I don't think we're related. However, as you note, there are simularities. The only point of contact I can recall was my use of the Emperor Norton Utilities:

for posting mutilated rubbish and marginal English to Usenet. This was the primary source of my writing style and topical inspiration.

I'm fairly certain there will eventually be a revival of the Emperor Norton style of government. Democracy, republicanism and capitalism have all run their course and are failing like all the previous attempts at equality, fairness, stability, and conquest. The only form that has survived is monarchy which I predict will eventually make a come back. Given the current quality of government, Emperor Norton would probably be an improvement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Know your ISO-3166 country codes? Constitutional monarchies:

BE DK JP LI MA NL SE TO BH ES KH LS MC NO SZ UK BT JO KW LU MY NP TH WS

``monarchies'':

BN OM QA SA

plus two more that are harder to classify (AE which is a federation of emirates, and VA). I'm ignoring (mainly) former European colonies that have the European monarch as symbolic head of state, but actually are republics or federations. And the model you wish is... ;-)

But do we really _need_ a railroad bridge out to the Farallones?[1] Or is that merely a federal... an imperial "make-work" project?

Old guy

[1] Imperial decree of 18 August 1869 - which ordered the bridge to be built "at Oakland Point to Yerba Buena, from thence to the mountain range of Saucilleto (sic), and from thence to the Farallones..." The decree is often cited as the genesis of the current Oakland Bay and Golden Gate bridges - the Farallon Islands are small islands about 30 miles / 50 km West of the Golden Gate.
Reply to
Moe Trin

No. The 11th commandment is: "Thou shalt not abrev".

Close enough. Hybrids are becoming more popular. Whatever the sub-type, monarchy is here to stay and shows no evidence of further decline.

My favorite model is absolute dictator. Of course, there are a limited number of such positions available. It would also be nice if I could run things without violence or elections, but those can be easily deal with through media suppression and single candidate elections.

Ummm... You're behind the times. "Make work" was the mantra of the WPA and the 1929 Depression era public works projects. This is the

21st century and it's now called "job creation" as in the economic stimulus package. Both are famous for creating highways in the sky, so expect similar results.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually, I was originally thinking of using a WPA or CCC reference, but figured neither would translate for younger or foreign readers.

Ah, but this was a _railroad_ in the sky. Come to think of it, I don't believe the "Pulaski Skyway" (US highways 1 and 9 from just West of the Holland Tunnel to Newark airport, built across the Hackensak marsh), "Sunshine Skyway" (I 275 across the mouth of Tampa bay in Florida), "Highway to the Stars" (San Diego county route S2 that runs up to the Mount Palomar observatory) or "Overseas Highway" (US highway

1 in the Florida keys) were WPA projects. They were just _ordinary_ pork-barrel projects.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.